HDD size increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

flybynite

Cadet
Having done some reading and research I built a little freenas box as for backup storage, media serving etc. and as a bit of an experiment. It seems to run quite well so far.

Case: Node 304
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2l Server Board
CPU Corei3 4130T
RAM: 16 Gb Kingston ECC CL11
PSU: Corsair RM550
HDD: 6 x WD Green 500gb RaidZ2 Freenas 9.2

As far as the disks go I had the 500Gb WD greens around after some upgrades in other machines and decided to use them to start with while I was experimenting and getting a feel for things.

I checked them and WDIDLE'd them to 300 seconds and they are running well RaidZ2 giving enough space for now, but they are older drives and wont last forever.

I intend to upgrade the disks in size, always intending to use 2Tb disks (not decided which flavour yet) which would conform exactly to the recommendation “4Gb RAM + 1Gb per Tb storage” May either resilver one at a time or start again fresh from backup depending on things at the time.

My question is: (finally you say!) would I be causing myself a problem using 3Tb drives over the 2Tb?

I am stuck with 16Gb RAM and 18Tb is over the ideal but I have seen configs similar. It is just that 3Tb drives are becoming the value sweet spot as time goes on and I was just wondering if the system would take more than 12Tb with no problems before starting to buy them? I am happy with the build and spec otherwise and don’t want to mess it up!
I have read and searched but no-one seems to have asked this particular one (waiting to be corrected). Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful (first post so be gentle!)

Dennis K.

Explorer
You should be good with 3TB drives. The rule for 1GB RAM per 1TB space, if anything, refers to the usable space. So with (6-2)*3TB=12TB you're good to go.

flybynite

Cadet
Thanks for that, obviously missed the "usable" bit the manual only seems to refer to storage and I wasn't sure if it was gross or net storage. now I look harder I do see references for 1Gb per 1Tb zpool.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You should be good with 3TB drives. The rule for 1GB RAM per 1TB space, if anything, refers to the usable space. So with (6-2)*3TB=12TB you're good to go.

That's not correct; I intentionally rewrote that bit in the manual to be a bit vague. We needed users to be making sure that they were in the right ballpark, but there isn't an actual mathematical formula for a minimum value that will actually always work right. If performance isn't a consideration, it could even be argued that it is 1GB RAM per 1TB of *USED* space (still minimum 8GB) but typically people expect to use the space their NAS has. For a busy server, it should definitely be considered to be 1GB/1TB of raw space, which gives the system more elbow room, but in reality might even need to be 2GB or 3GB/1TB.

At 16GB of RAM you're going to be fine. You could do 6 x 4TB in RAIDZ2 with 16GB if you like, and for media storage it would be just fine. For a busy departmental fileserver that ought to be 32GB though. It'd be safe with 16GB even for that use but when it gets busy it may show poor performance characteristics.

panz

Guru
I did choose 32 GB even if I'm a home user: we do a lot of Plex transcoding and, you know, other family members tend to kill you if they can't access their videos at full speed ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And that's the best way to maximize your investment... don't cheap out. :smile:

flybynite

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies, things a bit clearer now. Unfortunately I didn't have the option to go with 32Gb as the board only has 2 slots, it was one of the compromises I accepted when I chose the board, but it fits what I need all other ways. I accepted it was never going to be a blazing freenas unit, but all the bits seem quite well balanced and it seems to do the job for now. If I find this one runs out of steam sometime in the future I can use it as the backup and have an excuse to build another one ;-)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
He's going to do well and be just fine, he's got the right attitude... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.