BUILD Hardware Compatibility Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

usp97

Dabbler
I am very new to DIY NAS, having just realized earlier this week that I could build one on my own. Originally, I had researched and found an off the shelf model that I liked, but didn't have the money. I've been watching ebay for the past year, but haven't come across any listings that fit into my budget. I am trying to put together one for home use, mainly laptop backups (currently 2 with more to add as my children grow) and streaming media. I was directed to various posts and stickies for general information. I have an idea of some components I would like to use, but I want to make sure they are compatible with each other and will work for what I intend to use the NAS for.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX
Power Supply: Corsair CX430
RAM: Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: ASRock E35oM1
Processor: Intel Core i3-3220T

I am not nearly as good or knowledgeable about hardware as I am about software, so please tell me if I missed any components, if anything isn't compatible, if something I have listed is unnecessary, or if a component is not good to use.

Thank you very much for your help,
Matthew

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi usp97,

There's one glaring problem so far....the E350 board you selected is actually an all-in-one board that comes with a CPU.

If you would like, give us a budget number and we will be *happy* to put together some suggested parts list for you that should work great with FreeNAS.

-Will

Jan

Dabbler
I was looking at similar hardware but haven't decided to buy it yet. My budget is about 300-400 bucks without any disks.
I don't need to push max IOps through as I will use it mainly for FTP backups and local backups.

Any suggestions Will?

-Jan

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Jan,

Please don't hijack the thread. If you have questions please start your own thread.

Thanks,

-Cyberjock

usp97

Dabbler
Hi usp97,

There's one glaring problem so far....the E350 board you selected is actually an all-in-one board that comes with a CPU.

If you would like, give us a budget number and we will be *happy* to put together some suggested parts list for you that should work great with FreeNAS.

-Will

Thank you for pointing out the board already has a CPU. That's exactly what I was talking about when I said I don't understand hardware nearly as good as software. Anyway, a budget of $400-500 is what I am looking for, without the disks. I have a little bit of flexibility, so if it goes over $500 a little, it's no big deal. If you think that the other components that I listed are good and will be compatible, you don't have to go through the hassle of putting together a suggestion list. Also, please let me know if I am missing a piece of hardware.

Thank you very much for your help.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi usp97,

If all you are looking for is a 4 drive NAS it's really tough to beat the HP Microservers.

give this guy a look:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKWUZ58/?tag=ozlp-20

add in 8GB of ECC memory & a quality (4-8GB) thumb drive and 4 drive and you are done.

Note: the Gen 7 Microservers were just replaced with the Gen 8's so if you look around you should be able to find them on sale\clearance for even less.

-Will

gpsguy

Since there are only 2 slots for RAM, I'd max it out with 16Gb ECC RAM.

If you are in the US, watch "slickdeals.net" for rebate offers on the N54L. The go on sale about once a month for ~$230 (after rebate).

It appears that the Gen 8's are not available yet. Newegg lists them for pre-order with a release date of 10/6/2013.

... hp n54l ... add in 8GB of ECC memory

Note: the Gen 7 Microservers were just replaced with the Gen 8's so if you look around you should be able to find them on sale\clearance for even less.

usp97

Dabbler
survive & gpsguy

Thank you for the information. I like the idea of the HP Microserver and if I can find it on "slickdeals.net" it will be cheaper than the components I had listed. I have a few more questions, though.

1. Survive mentioned just adding RAM and thumb drive, but it comes with a 250GB drive installed. Is that in one of the drive bays, so I'll have to remove it in favor of 2TB drives?
2. gpsguy said to max out the NAS with 16GB RAM, but the specs list it as 8GB max. Which is right?
3 Just to recap. If I go with the HP Microserver, add RAM, a thumb drive, and hard drives, all I have to do is install FreeNAS and I'm good to go?

I really appreciate all of your help.

gpsguy

Yes, the 250Gb drive is installed in one of the drive bays. Take it out, put it on the shelf, and use it in another computer. "slickdeals.net" is a forum, where users share links to good deals. If an offer for a good deal on a Microserver is available (or on the way), their user's will share it with that community.

While the spec's list 8Gb max, one can put 16Gb in it. I have a N54L with the RAM listed below. Boots to 16Gb everytime.

Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
Item #: N82E16820139979 [newegg.com]

And, for #3 - yesiree.

1. Survive mentioned just adding RAM and thumb drive, but it comes with a 250GB drive installed. Is that in one of the drive bays, so I'll have to remove it in favor of 2TB drives?

2. gpsguy said to max out the NAS with 16GB RAM, but the specs list it as 8GB max.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi usp97,

The 250GB drive is in one of the 4 drive bays\trays. Bin it, put it on the shelf...your choice what you do with it (just save the screws).

The Mircoservers officially support 8GB of RAM, but many have had success with a pair of 8GB DIMMs. A little goggling should find you some posts detailing which sticks work. I'm torn on what to tell you to do as far a memory goes because 8GB ECC unbuffered (not registered!) DIMMs go for ~$65.00 or so....and it's rare for me to tell anyone to hold back on RAM. I suppose it really gets down to what drives you want to use & how you plan on configuring them.

Yep, all you need are drives & a thumb drive to go with the Microserver. Might be worthwhile to score a multi-bit Torx screwdriver as all the screws are not normal screws, HP includes an "L" wrench that fits, but it's kind of sucks to use that to mount 4 HDD's.

-Will

usp97

Dabbler
One more question. I've been looking at the documentation for this HP Microserver, but I can't seem to find a list of compatible hard drives. Where can I find that list? Or can I just get any hard drives I want at this point?

gpsguy

Generally, you'll be able to put the same drives in a HP Microserver, that you'd put in the server you were planning to build.

One mounts a "bare" SATA drive in a drive caddy (plastic frame that fits in a drive bay). The connectors on the back of the drive connect to the backplane in the Microserver.

usp97

Dabbler
Does the HP G7 Mircroserver N54L require a small USB drive, like the Sandisk Fit? Or is there room for any normal sized USB drive?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi usp97,

It will take a bigger USB key like a SanDIsk Cruzer without issue.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.