Handle too long filepaths?

Dunuin

Contributor
Hi,

I finally build a backup server for replication but the replication task can't sync all datasets because the file names would be too long. Sure, the paths are a bit longer because I replicate "SSDpool/Stuff/..." to "HDDpool/SSDpool_backup/Stuff/..." and also "HDDpool/..." to "BACKUPpool/HDDpool_backup/...". So the "SSDpool/Stuff/..." becomes "BACKUPpool/HDDpool_backup/SSDpool_backup/Stuff/..." later.

How do you handle this?

I want to make sure that the replication always works even with new long file names added in he future without running into problems.

The only option that comes to my mind is to delete and recreate all datasets beginning with a extra long name so all paths in backups are shorter than the original dataset. Like "HDDpool/UselessDatasetWithExtraLongNameToPreventToòLongPaths/MyShares/..." and "SSDpool/UselessDatasetWithExtraLongNameToPreventTooLongPaths/MyShares/...".
So I can replicate:
"SSDpool/UselessDatasetWithExtraLongNameToPreventTooLongPaths/MyShares/..." -> "HDDpool/SSDpool_backup/MyShares/..." "HDDpool/SSDpool_backup/MyShares/..." -> "BACKUPpool/HDDpool_backup/SSDpool_backup/MyShares/..." "HDDpool/UselessDatasetWithExtraLongNameToPreventTooLongPaths/MyShares/..." -> "BACKUPpool/HDDpool_backup/MyShares/..."

So that the path of original datasets are always longer then the paths of the backup datasets.

But is there a way to clear this problem without deleteing and recreating all datasets? Not only that I need to copy dozens of TB I also need to modify all my jails and scripts to match the new datasets.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Dunuin

Contributor
What is the maximum allowed path lenght in FreeNAS?
I tried to create a new empty dataset "SSDpool/VeryLongDatasetNameToPreventTooLongPathsInReplicatedDatasets/Shares/Documents" but FreeNAS tells me that it can not mount the dataset because the path is too long....it is just 85 characters.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What is the maximum allowed path lenght in FreeNAS?
I tried to create a new empty dataset "SSDpool/VeryLongDatasetNameToPreventTooLongPathsInReplicatedDatasets/Shares/Documents" but FreeNAS tells me that it can not mount the dataset because the path is too long....it is just 85 characters.
Mount point name length is 88 characters in 11.3 IIRC, Will be 1024 in 12.0.