GUI is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT-Rapiro

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I recently installed and tested FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 . It looks to be a very smooth Software also on older Machines/Servers.

After a few tests (only with Volumes and NFS-Shares) and a couple of restarts the GUI wont come up with the server.
He doesn't show me the information about the Web-Gui on the starting screen (option 1-11). Does anyone knows how to bring up the GUI again or which services has to be started again?

Some additional informations:
- Its a static IP-Address
- I can connect to the server over SSH
- The NFS-Shares are still reachable
- FreeNAS is installed on a small Raid-Volume

Thank you in advance!

krikboh

Patron
I suspect since you mention older machines you may not meet the hardware requirements. Do you have the minimum 8 GB of RAM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT-Rapiro

Cadet
Hi krikboh,

thank you for your reply. You are right I don't meet the hardware requirements I do only have 4 GB of RAM.
But why was the server running since one and a half week with several restarts and no problems?

If I'm thinking back the last thing I did was removing a USB-HDD. The Server was hanging and after a hard shutdown and restart the GUI was gone.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
But why was the server running since one and a half week with several restarts and no problems?

That's not a question to which there's an answer. The 8GB of RAM minimum comments which you see in the manual, I added. I added it because we had unexplainable behavior problems with less than 8GB of RAM. Some people never have problems, others can't get it to boot up and create a pool and others lose their pools suddenly without warning. Some have problems immediately, others have no problems for weeks or years. The bottom line is if you have <8GB of RAM problems can and should be expected. My advice is to upgrade to 8GB of RAM if you expect FreeNAS to be stable and reliable. I'm kind of expecting you to reply with something like "but my hardware won't support 8GB of RAM" which is a common complaint. Sorry, but 8GB is the limit, it's in the manual, and that's that. :/

If you want to use your old server as a NAS, NAS4Free supposedly runs with less RAM. But you are on your own to determine if your hardware meets their requirements.

Good luck!

IT-Rapiro

Cadet
I'm kind of expecting you to reply with something like "but my hardware won't support 8GB of RAM" which is a common complaint.
But my hardware... sorry for that, sad but true :D its fact.

Thanks for that answer. Didn't know about "random" issues with less then 8GB of RAM. I was expecting that it would only be a matter of performance or if I am using ZFS.
So this is a reason to go with an ordinary Linux as an NFS-Server for the moment and trying FreeNAS on another HW with at least 8GB of RAM.

Thanks again for your help!

Edit:

I'm sorry for another question but where can I mark this thread as "Solved"?

Status
Not open for further replies.