Greetings from Tübingen, Germany

tvtue

Cadet
Hello dear FreeNAS users

I am not completly new to FreeNAS, but haven't done much with it except of having it installed on some older HP hardware (p4300) for backup purposes and using it via iscsi.

At the moment we are searching for a better solution for our hosting of virtual machines with RHV/ovirt. Currently we are using a lot of infortrend storage system but we are not satiesfied with the management software (SANWatch). It has some issues which are not really good. Basically it's a good concept to have all storage systems in one adminstration gui. But it lacks some speed for example or multiuser/admin support. I don't think it's good to list them all here.

Furthermore there are these so called "host side parameters" on infortrend boxes. E.g. you have to setup the maximal number of concurrent connections to a lun or you must give the number of initiators and such things. In my opinion this should be handled automatically by storage system, because in virtualized environment things change frequently. Even more, you have to do a reboot of the controller to activate these new settings. This is cumbersome and breaks services which you cannot aford. I haven't seen such things with FreeNAS yet, are there such limitations?

With my current FreeNAS experience I cannot tell whether there is such a superior management software which holds all of ones systems. Is there any?

Monitoring is another point. Infortrend systems do have an event log, but we have encountered situations where problems have not been logged there also their snmp mib seems not to have values for situations when you run into too less connections free on a certain channel. I would be interested in people experiences with FreeNAS in these

Evertb1

Guru
Welcome to the forums. I am a strictly home user of FreeNAS so I won't be of any help with your questions because I never had the need for management software and extensive monitoring. However I engourage you to open a topic in one of the technical forums. We have some prominent members with FreeNAS experience for business purposes. They might be of some help for you.