Greatings, community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone.

Its good to see that there are people working with a free-to-use and multi-functional system with a wide range of possibilities.
I'm currently running FreeNAS 8.0.4 on a self-made system at home. My current build is a mash-up of spare parts I had laying around which looks something like this:

MSI K9N
AMD Athlon 4900+ Dual COre
Crappy 350W PSU
4GB DDR2 800MHZ (Got 4GB more laying around somewhere)
1x Seagate 1,5TB
1x WD Digital Green Power 1TB + 1x WD Digital Green Power. ( In a stripe, ZFS)

I'm currently planning to add two more Green Power 2TB/3TB into a stripe(raid 0?) for pure storage, and also two more 2TB/3TB into a mirror (raid 1?) for backup.
As I'm planning this I'm wondering if someone could be so kind to clarify the difference between ZFS and UFS. I read something about UFS being better on performence, however ZFS is designed for file sizes out of proportions.
I'm also wondering if it would be as good to mash all the four HDDs into a Raid 5, as I probably will achieve upto 8-12TB of storage.

And any help regarding better performence, powersaving, torrent-client, online access, sharing etc would be much appreciated. I'll try to search for any topics regarding my questions.

I'm personally a apprentice within Automation Engineering, which in other words means designing, building, maintaining and configuring PLCs, regulation systems, motor-controllers, etc etc.
I got into computers in -98 I think, when we got our first computer with Windows 98 on it, but It wasn't untill 2001 when I got my very own that I dared to format the HDD.
At my spare time I tend to do too little on too many subjects(!)
It could be everything from audio-systems, game-servers to repair my shabby Toyota Celica.

Just as a finisher I want to add that some friends and I are arranging LAN / computer gatherings in our city, so I guess our tech-guru infected me with FreeNAS.

Thats about it, I hope to share some experience with the rest of you here.

Regards
Atle-Andr Gundersen.

ProtoSD

MVP
Welcome Atle-Andr,

You should post your question in the Noob section of the forum since the introduction area shouldn't contain discussions. You can learn about both UFS and ZFS on Wikipedia. I know there is a good introduction for ZFS there. Also, have a look at the links in my signature below for FAQs, documentation and videos.

Thanks for saying hello!

-- Proto

Status
Not open for further replies.