Goodbye freenas..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfr2006

Contributor
Well..

It were some interesting months, but it's now time to move a real NAS system, not a system to play and that does not work according to the expected. FreeNAS is nice, but there still lots of issues to solve and a lot to evolve. It was nice to play like a kid, but i need something that works without transfers speed problems, without hardware incompatibilities and issues and mainly something that i can use to watch my movies without having stops on the video flow from 10s to 10s :(. And i need something that i can expand by adding new discs.

so i will be back to synology products. Yes, they are expensive... but they do work. And after summing all the expenses i had with my freenas system that still does not work ok, i can buy a very good synology product.

Maybe some day i will be back to freeNAS... who knows..

Meanwhile, some of my hardware will be on sale. If anyone is interested, just drop a pm.

Regards.

Daisuke

Contributor
I looked at Synology but I could not accept the price tag as well the lack of options. My goal was to build my own system that works exactly the way I want it. First thing I did was to check on FreeBSD and FreeNAS forums what is the best/power saving hardware that works properly. At the time of built, I paid $750 for my setup, which it was way cheaper than a Synology box with similar features. If you look at the parts list, you will see all the goodies I have that allows me to beat easy any "pre-made" NAS product (Atom processor for power savings, SSD's available for cache, data speed performance on a single NIC + LACP on dual NIC's, etc.).

I think you rushed a little to conclusions by not troubleshooting where are your network bottlenecks or not spending the time to pick the proper parts that pull the best performance for the best price. Good luck with your new setup, I hope we will see you back soon. :)

Edit: I can read data at 900Mbit/sec and write at 600Mbit/sec on my NAS, through a single NIC.
CIFS reads from Network Drive:

CIFS writes to Network Drive:

jfr2006

Contributor
How much free space have you got on your array? When you get to 100GB free, do the test again and see the disappointing results you will get :(.

Has for the lack of options, what lack of options? Synology does everything i want and in the correct way. Also, you can use ipkg to install other packages, but it has so many things, that i will be uninstalling is software (new DSM 4.0 allows this). Yes, Synology is not cheap, but it works without any hiccup.

dannyb78

Explorer
it's your choice. I love qnap as synology for home and for business use also.
In my home I have a freenas installation made with old zero cost hardware, I just bought the disks, running a 8.1 nightly with great speed and no issues or relevant bugs. I usually play fullHD movies and BD 1:1 copy via wired network without lag, even with 40GB of free space.

jfr2006

Contributor
finally made the move, so some of the hardware i had is for sale (board, cpu, ram, controller, cables..). If anyone is interested, just pm me.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.