Give Everybody Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

mruby

Dabbler
Ok, i'm ready to pull my hair out. I've been at this for 7 hours now and ready to break something.

I started by trying to do the sane thing and give permissions to the correct users / groups, but at least one thing doesn't work in every scenario, so i've resorted to just trying to give everything all access, but that wont even work.

I've got freenas 1.9.3 stable running
plex running in a jail
windows clients on the network
mac client on the network
linux clients on the network

I've created "guest" user and "guest" group. I've given them 777 in home directory. no other boxes checked in the user screen.
I've got a volume with apply owner checked, owner is "guest", apply owner group checked, group is "guest", mode has everything checked (777), permission type set to unix. I check set permission recursively.
I've got a cifs share created with apply default perms checked. browsable to network checked, allow guest access checked.
I've got the cifs service config as follows: workgroup "WORKGROUP" local master checked guest account set to "guest" file mask "0777" directory mask "0777" allow empty passsword checked.
The cifs service is turned on. I've stopped and started it numerous times as i'm changing things just in case.

Yet, in windows... The permissions still do not allow everyone write access. I've disconnected the mapped drive, and reconnected dozens of times.

Also, in plex jaiil, my camera uploads are not working. (I have a storage mapped to the plex jail and am using a photos directory created on one of my shares as the upload directory for plex camera upload). It doesn't work, and I can only assume its permissions because if i use the default option (where it uploads to a directory within the jail that it owns and created), then it works fine.

So frustrated right now. What am I doing wrong here??

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You need to use Windows permissions with CIFS.

mruby

Dabbler
You need to use Windows permissions with CIFS.
Ok thanks. The documentation says to use Unix if you have multiple types of clients connecting as they all understand it. If I switch to windows permissions won't it kill the already working Unix stuff I've got?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The documentation says to use Unix if you have multiple types of clients connecting as they all understand it.
That needs to be fixed, then.

If I switch to windows permissions won't it kill the already working Unix stuff I've got?
Are you using only CIFS shares? If so, you should be able to just choose Windows permissions and then click on the Sane Defaults button to be able to work from there.

mruby

Dabbler
That needs to be fixed, then.

Are you using only CIFS shares? If so, you should be able to just choose Windows permissions and then click on the Sane Defaults button to be able to work from there.

Thanks I'll give it a try and see what happens I guess. Yes I'm only using cifs. Documentation also recommends against using multiple share types as they could conflict and cause file locking issues. Maybe that is not a real issue?

Also I haven't been able to find a good explanation but why is it that turning on guest access is not enough? I don't see the point in cifs having guest configuration when windows just ignores the permissions set in the volume.

It's all rather confusing to be honest. Doesn't seem like there is a good way to properly share your stuff with Linux windows and mac at the same time.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Documentation also recommends against using multiple share types as they could conflict and cause file locking issues. Maybe that is not a real issue?
If you are talking about to the same DataSet, then that will cause rights issues from what I recall.

Also I haven't been able to find a good explanation but why is it that turning on guest access is not enough? I don't see the point in cifs having guest configuration when windows just ignores the permissions set in the volume.
You would "fine tune" the permissions from Windows Explorer. Map a drive to the share with an account that has rights. Then proceed to set rights on the folders you create within that.

I did a big write-up and example here, see if that helps you.

Also:
Checkout m0nkey_ 's thread: [How-to] FreeNAS and Samba (CIFS) permissions (Video)
See my comments/instructions in page 2 of: FreeNAS Can't Handle Basic Use Case

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There are quite a few problems that samba has to solve in order to implement SMB on a *nix platform. Among these are:
  • windows file locking (oplocks, smb2 leases, etc.)
  • windows permissions (NT-style and NTFS-style)
  • windows filename conventions (case sensitivity, valid / invalid characters, etc.)
  • windows metadata (zone information, alternate datastreams, special metadata stuff that OSX clients use, etc.)
  • windows time conventions
Some of the above are somewhat transparent to normal *nix processes / applications and other parts are not. As the samba project continues to follow SMB development / improvement I expect that samba will become increasingly less transparent to these processes / applications. For instance, the Linux kernel oplock code is incompatible with SMB2 leases, and I expect there will be zero compatibility when it comes to durable handles and other SMB clustering features.

So in the long run, I think it's best to settle on samba if you have windows clients. Eventually there will be features in samba you want that will be fundamentally incompatible with the dataset being an NFS share.

Status
Not open for further replies.