SOLVED Generate Self-Sign Certificate for MINIO Plugin

xlameee

Explorer
I'd written a pretty lengthy explanation of an apparent issue with the config directory, but that turned out to be a red herring. If I generate a self-signed cert, and put the files in /usr/local/etc/minio/certs/, and make sure they're readable by minio (which was the actual source of the problems I was seeing, and which minio sucks at logging), minio will restart and run just fine. The web console will now only be accessible via HTTPS (not via HTTP, and there's no redirect). If you've created the cert correctly, you'll be able to log in and go about your business.

One critical point is that the self-signed cert must contain the address you're using to access minio. I generated a cert for minio, and the service started and I was able to reach the web console by the IP address just fine. However, I wasn't able to log in, because the IP address wasn't listed on the cert as a SAN. Once I corrected that, I was able to log in and see this:
View attachment 50840
Here are the steps I took:
  • iocage console minio
  • mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/minio/certs
  • cd /usr/local/etc/minio/certs
  • openssl genrsa -out private.key 2048
  • ee minio.conf
Its contents should be (assuming minio as the hostname, and 192.168.1.221 as the IP address):
Code:
[req]
distinguished_name=req
[SAN]
subjectAltName=@alt_names

[alt_names]
DNS.1 = minio
IP.1 = 192.168.1.221

• openssl req -new -x509 -key private.key -out public.crt -days 3650 -subj /CN=minio -extensions SAN -config 'minio.conf'
  • chown minio:minio private.key
  • service minio restart
  • Browse to https://192.168.1.221:9000 and log in with the credentials TrueNAS gave you when you installed the plugin.
And that's all there was to it. Configuring any client devices or applications to trust the self-signed cert is left as an exercise for the reader.
Finally someone with exact and simple explanation without asking me
"Why don't I use Let's Encrypt?"
or here it go my favorite
"Why Do I need self-signed Certificate for local service?"

To all of them that's what I want ......... I never ask you why do you need a toilet paper when you have a shower right next to you, Right?

danb35 Thank you very much working like charm :)​