FTP user folder selection

Jelle458

Cadet
I just set up a truenas core (TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3) which is virtualized using ESXi. I already have the SSD's for the storage behind a storage controller running RAID 5, but I still added 2 storage drives and running them in stripe. I figured it doesn't matter as the actual storage is already in RAID 5. This is my first time with truenas, and the guide for setting up wanted 2 hard drives.

The only reason I am doing it is because I want an FTP server running on it's own VM, and both Windows and Linux options didn't work for me (constant timeout or crashing of FTP server) so I turned to a NAS OS that can do it.

Truenas does it, and I got it working. I added some users and they can access the created pool, all is well.

However what I don't understand is why, when connected to the FTP I get files which has no names, but with extensions like ".login" ".profile" ".cshrc". I'm guessing these are files used for the user.

Am I able to set another folder, where all my users access, and don't see these files? All my users will have write permission and it wouldn't be good if these files were deleted I think.
I have backup of the data also, and planning to do some snapshots setup later, I am still setting everything up, and I won't be worried if users delete data they shouldn't, except for the profile files of course.

My pool is /mnt/FTP and for now my user is just ftpuser. Directory for ftpuser is /mnt/FTP/ftpuser. I tried to create a new dataset under the pool I have created, and I called it "ftp" (with small letters). Setting directory for ftpuser to this gets me the same files when I logon to the FTP server with this username.

Is this possible at all?

artlessknave

Wizard
I already have the SSD's for the storage behind a storage controller running RAID 5
NO. if you are putting truenas storage on RAID please turn around and rethink your life choices.
you need to some serious reading as what you have described is planning to fail.
".login" ".profile" ".cshrc".
these are names. "extensions" is a windows term to make file types easier to see - and then MS hides them by default from users. any valid character is a valid file name.
these, specifically, are hidden files used to set user profile preferences, that would normally only be visiable with ls -a.

you can set which directory users will start in and which they have access to with FTP (I don't know it well)

for what purpose are you using ESX instead of just truenas?

if linux is crashing, something else is very wrong. a linux vm running FTP should not have issues whatsoever.

something like openmediavault would be a better choice

Jelle458

Cadet
Thanks for your answer and time, I appreciate it. This is not my first time with virtualization or server configuration, but it is my first time with Truenas.

NO. if you are putting truenas storage on RAID please turn around and rethink your life choices.
you need to some serious reading as what you have described is planning to fail.
I am putting it behind a RAID because Truenas isn't running bare metal. I have a RAID controller running RAID 5 which is used as datastore for ESXi. I have no other way to get RAID working as ESXi doesn't have built in RAID, nor does it have ZFS. My understanding is that this is how you use ESXi.
The data is not super important, it will be constantly rotating, and nothing mission-critical.

these are names. "extensions" is a windows term to make file types easier to see - and then MS hides them by default from users. any valid character is a valid file name.
these, specifically, are hidden files used to set user profile preferences, that would normally only be visiable with ls -a.
It would be nice to hide these files then. I didn't do ls -a. I log onto the FTP server using port 21, and I set passive ports to 5000 - 10000. When I get into the ftp folder I see these files. I guessed they were profile settings, and I'd like to hide them from the FTP folder. I used filezilla as FTP client, and it works from the outside.

you can set which directory users will start in and which they have access to with FTP (I don't know it well)
This is what I wanted to do. Select a different folder for all my users to connect to, so they don't see one users profile settings files, and possibly delete those. I bet if I delete them they'd come back, but if I could set an empty folder that would help a lot.
All users should see the same folder, and is just used to share some files. The backup is somewhere else so if users delete something they shouldn't I am also not worried about that.

for what purpose are you using ESX instead of just truenas?
I want to run various virtual machines on one server, and since I don't know truenas I started out with ESXi because I have experience with this.

if linux is crashing, something else is very wrong. a linux vm running FTP should not have issues whatsoever.
I tried to install Windows in a vm and set up FTP server. I used Windows 10 Pro. I found guides for FileZilla server, followed them to-the-letter, and I am unable to connect even through LAN.
I also found a guide to use Window's built-in FTP server. Again using this guide to-the-letter and I can't connect, timeout on connection.
Then I tried to install ubuntu on a vm, and I found a guide for setting up vsftpd. Again I followed the guide to-the-letter. Copy-pasting in commands and creating the same user as in the guide. End result was systemctl status vsftpd said "failed", and I could not connect to the FTP, again timeout.
I then wanted to install Qnap QTS for FTP server (becoming desperate), but the installation I found was for vmware workstation, not ESXi so the boot file didn't work.
Then I ended up on Truenas, because I just wanted that damn FTP server running. And with Truenas the FTP came right on up, and forwarding ports working just fine and I can now connect to it from the outside. I just need to get rid of those profile files and I'm golden.

something like openmediavault would be a better choice
I have never heard of openmediavault before. Maybe it's a better choice, but if I run into the same "problem" then it's a bit moot. I am where I want to be, just need to connect to a different folder which doesn't contain user settings.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In FTP settings, is the "always chroot" box ticked? if so, perhaps try removing that tick.

Jelle458

Cadet
In FTP settings, is the "always chroot" box ticked? if so, perhaps try removing that tick.

Removing the tick made the ftpuser account able to access the root directory. Can I force one directory for all users, so they can't access anything else?

sretalla