Fssh_ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: ... message authentication code inc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon93873

Dabbler
All,

I'm looking for more experienced minds to take a look at these circumstances. After almost a year of ZFS replication offsite between two hosts, I'm seeing an unusual error from ssh during encrypted ZFS replication. It is:
Fssh_ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to IP_ADDRESS port PORT_NUMBER: message authentication code incorrect

Of course, I've redacted the IP address and port number. What I can report:
  • Since January 2017, SSH keys have been unchanged on these two systems and I've observed no authentication problems between them.
  • I upgraded to FreeNAS 11.0-U4 immediately upon release, which appears to be September 25th
  • SSH keys are 4096 bits, and CPUs are barely burdened during the transfer (1-4% total utilization across all cores)
  • The last ZFS snapshot appearing on the destination is dated October 19th
  • I have two snapshot tasks on the source: daily, retained for a week. Weekly, retained for 3 months.
  • Daily snapshots average 500MB. Weekly snapshots average 15GB.
  • Link speed of source: 80 megabits/sec symmetric; destination: 110 megabits/sec downstream, 30 megabits/sec upstream
  • I can only observe this error when I run zfs send and pipe it to SSH manually
  • Sometimes this error will appear within minutes of starting zfs send, other times it will take up to four hours to happen
  • I have defined no additional options in the FreeNAS configuration for SSH
  • I noticed this error after receiving a flurry of "replication failed" emails
  • The problem occurs in both directions.
  • Replication of smaller snapshots (kilobytes to single-digit megabytes) are uneventful.
  • I have had problems in the past with connection persistence between the hosts - but this is new: I've never observed the SSH error, only a broken pipe, several restarts, and finally a successful replication.
  • Turning off encryption on the replication task results in endless restarting of the replication task, presumably due to a broken connection. I'm not familiar with how to manually initiate a zfs send without piping it over SSH
Your insight is appreciated.

Last edited:

Anon93873

Dabbler
Nope, just checking to see if you made any progress.

I come here when I’ve exhausted all my abilities and resources. It’s truly a last ditch effort when I post here.

Right now, I’m treating ZFS replication as broken for my implementation.

D

dlavigne

In that case, it is worth creating a report at bugs.freenas.org. Include a debug (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) which will hide the ticket until a dev has a chance to review it. Post the issue # here.

Anon93873

Dabbler
I've posted bug number 27244 with a Debug capture from the sending system.

To clarify, what I called the "sending" system was also in the process of attempting to receive ZFS replications last night. They were both failing in that attempt. I can also reproduce the error and upload a Debug session from the other system if that's helpful, but didn't want to clog you with unnecessary duplication.

D

dlavigne

Doesn't hurt to add that debug as well to the report and indicate it's from the other system.

Anon93873

Dabbler
I've reverted both machines to FreeNAS 9.10.2-U5. Replication from one to the other works flawlessly, but fails in the reverse direction with the same error. I reverted by using the System > Boot menu. The boot environment I reverted to is dated 15 June 2017. I will update the bug report with this same text.

Anon93873

Dabbler
I've been using FreeNAS 9.10.2-U5 on both machines without issue. I'm happy to help the developers diagnose as they need.

Anon93873

Dabbler
Update: On both machines, I deleted all boot environments that existed after 9.10.2-U5, and updated to 11.1-RELEASE to ensure the settings remained unchanged. I experienced the same problem. I reverted to 9.10.2-U5.

Status
Not open for further replies.