SOLVED Freenas11.3.x & Jumpcloud issues

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Hi,

well, the thread is tagged as solved not the case itself ./
thanks for your post and the info that you will update your outdated documentation for 11.3.x if you could also include Truenas12.x.x this would be perfect because 11.3.x is since the Truenas release legacy.

Regarding to the reported error messages and this:
A larger meta-issue with using the legacy "samba schema" + LDAP is that the functionality it relies on will be completely removed from upstream samba in probably version 4.14.

This means that if you're relying on this for SMB access, then you're looking at migrating to AD or LDAP/kerberos for SMB access in 2-3 years. I'm not sure what jumpcloud's plans are with regard to this. Starting in one of the later 12.0 releases (possibly U1) we will add a deprecation warning to the GUI so that users have a couple of years heads-up on a potential need to migrate directory services.

What can you contribute or tell us ?

@jcdfay, in that separate thread cited above, is a much more knowledgeable resource than I am on FreeNAS issues. If you have an official support case with us, I can take your case number, look in on the current status and see if I can't drive some escalation there.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
A larger meta-issue with using the legacy "samba schema" + LDAP is that the functionality it relies on will be completely removed from upstream samba in probably version 4.14.

This means that if you're relying on this for SMB access, then you're looking at migrating to AD or LDAP/kerberos for SMB access in 2-3 years. I'm not sure what jumpcloud's plans are with regard to this. Starting in one of the later 12.0 releases (possibly U1) we will add a deprecation warning to the GUI so that users have a couple of years heads-up on a potential need to migrate directory services.

Regarding the error message, it's pretty straightforward. ldap_result(3) is failing. Possibly it's a network issue. Gut reaction is that it's probably on their end. I believe I added nscd to the 11.3 build at some point, and so you can try manually configuring that to reduce the amount of lookups to jumpcloud. I will probably add configuration for nscd to one of the later 12.0 releases (maybe U1 or U2). Interplay between caching mechanisms (nscd and winbind) can be complex and so I prefer to avoid having to do this.

Any news for a LDAP/kerberos service for SMB (TRUENAS) out there ?