Freenas won't connect to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryceTech

Cadet
Hello everyone I have just installed freenas on my HP Proliant DL380 G5 connected to a HP Storageworks MSA60 and when I installed FreeNAS it got a DHCP address and i was able to connect to the web gui and give it the same ip address but static instead of DHCP and I setup sharing and everything worked perfectally with no errors but then I rebooted the system and I get the normal 1-11 menu and then the "Enter an option" option but there is no ip add for the web gui and there is no error there isnt any thing even talking about it. I went into the shell and did ifconfig and it shows the correct address that I assigned (192.168.2.43) and I also set a default gateway of (192.168.2.1) which is the ip of my router and I put in that address into my browser and it doesnt work... please help

Thanks,
-Bryce Meacham

kdragon75

Wizard
First of all, if you set the IP in the console, it will not save across reboots at least in my test install (11.2 pre beta). Second, don't set an IP if its in your DHCP range... Your router will try to reuse it as some point and it will cause all manors of frustration. Third, The webUI should be set to use the IP of your "management interface". If you only have one IP on your server it's a no brainer to select that one one your get into the GUI.

Now to fix it. Using the console select option one, yes to delete the interface. Option one again, dont reset, use DHCP, pick a name or just press enter, it should pull an IP now. Use the web UI to set a static IP OUTSIDE of your DHCP scope. Close your tab, open a new one, go to the new IP, login goto System > General and select the new static IP for the webUI.

kdragon75

Wizard
Pro tip: Most SOHO routers have DHCP scopes starting at 192.169.1.100 or 192.168.0.100. Generally network admins like to reserve at least the first and last 10 address in any subnet for equipment like switches and servers.

BryceTech

Cadet
I got the DHCP to work agian and I didnt setup the static ip through the Shell I did it in the GUI but it seems to work now thanks

kdragon75

Wizard
Thanks for reporting back, I'm glad you got it working.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello everyone I have just installed freenas on my HP Proliant DL380 G5 connected to a HP Storageworks MSA60 and when I installed FreeNAS it got a DHCP address and i was able to connect to the web gui and give it the same IP address but static instead of DHCP and I setup sharing and everything worked perfectally with no errors but then I rebooted the system and I get the normal 1-11 menu and then the "Enter an option" option but there is no IP add for the web gui and there is no error there isnt any thing even talking about it. I went into the shell and did ifconfig and it shows the correct address that I assigned (192.168.2.43) and I also set a default gateway of (192.168.2.1) which is the IP of my router and I put in that address into my browser and it doesnt work... please help

Thanks,
-Bryce Meacham
Here is a very useful guide on how to configure FreeNAS. You might find some useful tips in there:

Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS Configuration Guide
https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro

Status
Not open for further replies.