SOLVED Freenas wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphicsman

Cadet
The other day in my area we had a storm with a lot of wind and late that night I had a surge kill my power within 5 mins three times from a tree falling on a breaker. My Freenas was behind an APC battery backup but now I cant get it to boot up and I get an error:

Code:
Error 5, untryable error
init died (signal 6, exit 0)
panic: Going nowhere without my init!
cpuid = 0
KDB: enter: panic
Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $0,0x9e8212(zrip)

Its only my second week using Freenas. I did research before I built my system and I am running 8gb Crucial RAM on ZFS with 4 identical 2TB IBM drives. My version of Freenas is 9.1.1x64. I installed Freenas on a 32gb Crucial thumb drive.

How can I repair this and get the data off my drives? I've spent all week loading everything to them I was, at the time, working on a second Freenas for redundancy and now I am in a pickle. I have tried pulling the drive and mounting them with an exteral dock on Mac, Ubuntu and Windows 7 but nothing.

Could really use some guidance, thanks. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area that forum said post here if unsure.

EDIT:
If I re-installed Freenas on my USB drive would the data still be accessible after?

gpsguy

Try a fresh install of FreeNAS onto a different thumb drive. Then try auto-importing your disks. If you made a backup copy of your configuration, you can restore it - else you'll have to recreate your settings, shares, etc.

Hopefully you didn't damage the disks by pulling them and trying to mount them with another OS.

graphicsman

Cadet
thanks.. Do you mind posting me how to import a drive? I'll shutdown my Freenas and install a new copy on another USB stick I have.

gpsguy

Please see section 6.3.1 (Auto Importing Volumes) of the manual.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
thanks.. Do you mind posting me how to import a drive? I'll shutdown my Freenas and install a new copy on another USB stick I have.

The manual gives step-by-step directions.. doc.freenas.org.

graphicsman

Cadet
hey that worked.. learned something new today with Freenas. A little scary to learn it though but I installed Freenas on another USB and then plugged all the drives back up to the ports they were assigned to and imported the volume, created a new user and all the information appears to be there. Thanks guys! Just curious but can you change the IP in Freenas because I dont see it in the documentation but it does state you can in the GUI

gpsguy

You can set a static IP address from the console setup menu. It's #1 on the menu, you'll want to ensure that #4 and #6 have correct values.

You need to revist your UPS configuration. It should be set so that it shuts down FreeNAS gracefully in the event of a power failure. If the "surge kill my power within 5 mins three times" it sounds like there's a problem.

Also keep a backup of your configuration; System → Settings → General → Save Config. Or search the forum to learn how to do it automatically via a cron job.

graphicsman

Cadet
Thanks for the input. The power issue was with the APC when it was going to the battery it tripped something in it and caused it to beep. I replaced it so I hope there are no more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.