FreeNAS stops working and forces me to do FSCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio.scl

Dabbler
good morning

I have installed FreeNAS on a HP ML110G5 and every so often I restart and forces me to do a fsck-y in order to function.

The error makes the following:

THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
ufs: /dev/ufs/Backups (/mnt/Backups)
Automatic file system check failed; help!
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
Jul 17 19:05:31 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Jul 17 19:05:31 init: NSSWITCH(_nsdispatch): files, passwd_compat, endpwent, .....

Any suggestions?

sergio.scl

Dabbler
Tonight again I have been here.

I tried to do the command "fsck-y dev / ufs / Backups" and gave me error, I had to do "fsck-y" and restart and restart the computer.

How I can fix it?

thanks

J

James

How are you restarting the system? It should only ask for fsck when the system was not properly shutdown.

sergio.scl

Dabbler
Uff, now pass me again. Not to do now.

As not find solution soon I will not be able to continue using FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As the admin stated above. If you aren't doing a proper shutdown you should expect a fsck to be getting forced. If that's not the cause perhaps you have a failing hard drive?

Are you SURE you are doing a proper shutdown before the fsck is being forced?

Also, you shouldn't have a need to reboot FreeNAS much at all. I've gone several weeks with reboots only needed because I did an update to FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That is one way to do it. You could also choose option 11 locally.

sergio.scl

Dabbler
OK, I've done it that way and fter after starting on the option that appears on the website of Restart

sergio.scl

Dabbler
I still have the same problems ... every 2 or 3 days I get the error, is for service and until I do a "fsck-y" and then reboot does not work.

If I can not find solution desisntalar FreeNAS tner that because this is a big problem.

See if someone could help me. Thank you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have you tried a different USB stick? You appear to be the only person having the issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't clone a FreeNAS installation. The FAQ explains that it doesn't work. I tried too. Nobody knows why and nobody is really interested in understanding why it doesn't work when you can simply do a recovery by reinstalling FreeNAS and then importing your configuration file.

Since FreeNAS is installed to a hard drive, I'd guess that your hard drive is probably going bad. FSCK shouldn't be needing to run on bootup regularly. I have yet to see a FreeNAS server need it on bootup.

BobCochran

Contributor
Sergio,

FreeNAS might offer a language locale that is in your language. Why not check http://pootle.freenas.org/ and also Section 4.6.1 of the FreeNAS 8.3 User Guide ( http://www.freenas.org/images/resou...as8.3_guide.html#__RefHeading__1126_145473606 ). Seeing messages in your own language will make the FreeNAS product a lot easier to work with. That in turn might help you iron out the fsck problem -- you can read the various menus and configuration panels more easily.

If you are having a problem with power failing, then you may need to connect your server to an uninterruptible power supply to avoid unexpected shutdowns of your server from power failures.

sergio.scl

Dabbler
Hello. Thank you for your interest in helping me. :)

I'll take your advice now depues (because now I will be doing a fsck as it has failed again)

I attached a picture of the mistake that just gave me for help if.

Is there no way to do disable the disk check?

The computer does not restart, is with a UPS.

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

freenas_fsck.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The disk check can't be disabled because it is necessary to minimize/prevent corruption of the file system.

You have something terribly wrong with your setup if you are getting that error regularly. You really should investigate the problem before you find yourself losing data.

BobCochran

Contributor
Hello. Thank you for your interest in helping me. :)

I'll take your advice now depues (because now I will be doing a fsck as it has failed again)

I attached a picture of the mistake that just gave me for help if.

Is there no way to do disable the disk check?

The computer does not restart, is with a UPS.

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

View attachment 1379

I think one or more of the hard disks on that storage volume is bad. The "alerts" in the web-based FreeNAS GUI might be able to help you identify which disk is bad. You might be able to clone the bad disk using ddrescue to a new disk and switch disks to see if that helps. It does look like a bad drive if FreeBSD has to do fsck's again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.