FreeNas server cannot connect to the internet but appears on network

baron623

Cadet
Hello,

this is my first shot at any server networking and I've been struggling. I'm going to preface this with saying I'm running version 11.2-U4. So here's my issue. I had no issues at first with my DHCP connection, but I set up a static ip and started running into issues. With a static IP, my machine is visible on the network and the drive is usable, however I cannot access the plug-in menu or search for updates. I have tried to set up a static route unsuccessfully. I am using an apple airport timecapsule as my router with a wired connection. Any assistance for this networking noob would be appreciated.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What do you see in the network settings, circled below:

1559267389896.png

baron623

Cadet
Sorry about the delay, I got home from work late yesterday. Here is what I see. I'll also add some of the errors it is throwing.

Attachments

• network info.PNG
    network info.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 274
  • plugin error.PNG
    plugin error.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • update error.PNG
    update error.PNG
    327.8 KB · Views: 271

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Installing a manual update is not such an important issue because the problem you have is a simple fix.
You don't have a name server setup here:
1559410023648.png

If you add a name server to your IP configuration, your system should be able to reach the update server and your can download the update directly instead of doing a manual update.
This is the most frequent problem for people when they switch from DHCP to manual IP configuration. It is not well covered by the manual, that I can find, but here is the part of the manual that discusses the configuration:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2-U4.1/network.html#global-configuration

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. Your default rout should point to your router / firewall, not to the FreeNAS. The FreeNAS is not the router. Often, in a home network, your name server is also your router / firewall. Or you can use the Google name server addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

baron623

Cadet
Thank you for your help!