FreeNAS raid equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercookie

Dabbler
I'm setting up a music server for sonos for my mom. I have 4 1TB and a 240gb ssd. the ssd is going to be cache and I want the 4 hard drives in RAID 10. After doing some searching I understand that FreeNAS uses ZFS and does not use RAID standards. What is the RAID 10 equivalent in FreeNAS? or should I go with a raid 5/6 equivalent. (I am partial to a full mirroring of drive because in my first pc I built I have 2 1TB drives in RAID 1 and 1 of them failed after 9+ months due to a power outage and I just unplugged the dead drive and my partition still had all of its data).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Mirrors is what you want. And skip the cache drive for your use case, you won't need it. ZFS is very different than other file systems.

Supercookie

Dabbler
Do I add all 4 drives to the volume to make the 2 of them as back up and the other 2 striped together? and with the ssd I am planing on building a bigger NAS for my whole house for knightly backups and for a plex server should i use it s a cache for that instead?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do I add all 4 drives to the volume to make the 2 of them as back up and the other 2 stripped together?
You use the volume manager in the gui to create your mirror pool.
should i use it s a cache for that instead?
No. There are very few use cases where a home user needs a cache drive in FreeNAS. Like I said a "cache drive" is very different and doesn't serve the same purpose in FreeNAS/ZFS as it does for other applications.

Arwen

MVP
Instead of 2, 2 way Mirrored vDevs, (that's ZFS terminology for a 4 disk RAID-10), you can go with RAID-Z2. It gives you the same amount of storage, but, any 2 disks can fail and still no data loss. The caveat is that RAID-Z2 can be a bit slower for some things. It's all about what risk you want to take.

In some ways it's clumsy to use only 4 disks in a RAID-Z2 set, but if you replace the disks with larger ones, you can grow the pool without backing up and restoring. And during that grow's re-silver, you can lose a disk, and still not lose data.

So;

RAID-Z1 - Like RAID-5, loose 1 disk maximum
RAID-Z2 - Like RAID-6, loose 2 disks maximum
RAID-Z3 - Don't really have a standard, (some use RAID-7 for triple parity), loose 3 disks maximum

Read up on ZFS before you start using FreeNAS. It's way different that other file systems, RAID types and volume management software.

Scharbag

Guru
And you should avoid Z1 as resilver times can expose you to pool failure if a second drive gives up the ghost while being resilvered.

RaidZ2 will be PLENTY fast for home use and will provide excellent fault tolerance.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.