FreeNAS Plugins for tv recording (tvheadend, mythtv) and transcoding via handbrake watchfolder

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3jected

Dabbler
Hey smart people,

My farther intends to use it as a media storage for his kodi media center connected to his tv (for recorded tv movies) and for savely storing emotional valuable data (photos and video's of us being little, his large music collection, etc).

He is on a tight budget, you would laugh if you looked at the hardware he uses to cut the commercials by hand and the time consuming of offloading it from a tvheadend server rendering, transcoding it with handbrake and uploading it to the nas.

I already wondered if he'd go with a core i3 instead and create a transcoding folder for that stuff and let the nas do it (he has a very old amd athlon maschine) but I worry if I can set this up for him with jail / watchfolder stuff.
Moreover he wants the machine to be his tv recorder at the same time because a water damage nearly killed his current 1 hdd nas and destroyed his seperate tvhe machine.
However this again seems hard to realize since I found no real solution for tv recording in a freenas jail.
(And the stuff found left me question if it would work).

Maybe someone has experience with this topic and help me out with the knowledge he or she gained.
Sorry for not describing it better. I am in a real hurry and hope that someone could give me some advice.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Emby, which can be installed as a plugin, has TV recording support using the hdhomerun.

Status
Not open for further replies.