FreeNAS or Premade NAS Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry11097

Dabbler
Pull it out, a new one in and stick to the manual (chapter replace)
Done

Except you made only stripes.
Raidz2 is good for reliability

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Not at all. That's just what I had laying around, so I used it. However, you should have some sort of backup strategy... RAID/ZFS isn't a replacement for backup. Remember the 3-2-1 strategy:
Have 3 copies of your data - the original and two backups
Keep the backup data on 2 different types of storage (disk and disk, disk and tape, disk and cloud, etc.)
Have 1 backup copy off-site.
Ok, perfect. So my backup plan would be the NAS (orginal) and the 2 offsite would be disk and hardrive. How many drives should I get? I am looking to have about 4tb of storage.

Jerry11097

Dabbler
Pull it out, a new one in and stick to the manual (chapter replace)
Done

Except you made only stripes.
Raidz2 is good for reliability

Is trying to replace a dead drive difficult for a user who is barely getting started with FreeNAS?
Also I am trying to figure out if its worth all the work to get this setup. Its not just something you can grasp in a two days.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Jerry11097

Dabbler
It can be a lot to take in, agreed. Running a FreeNAS system is usually a lot simpler than setting it up, though, and a lot of people have done it successfully.

Replacing a drive is not that hard, and is covered in the documentation: http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html#replacing-a-failed-drive
Ok, thanks! I will be going with the FreeNAS setup! I enjoy the support you guys give me and it also gives me confidence to tackle this project. One last thing what UPS do you guys recommend for the build?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
How many drives should I get? I am looking to have about 4tb of storage.
That depends on many factors, including what level of redundancy you're looking for and how quickly you expect your data to grow. For example, you could start with a pair of 4TB or 6TB drives in a simple mirror, planning to add another mirror later for expansion, or you could go with four 4TB or 6TB drives in RAIDZ2 from the start.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I enjoy the support you guys give me and it also gives me confidence to tackle this project. One last thing what UPS do you guys recommend for the build?
Great! I personally prefer the APC Smart-UPS systems, but the good ones are very expensive (unless bought used, but that's a whole different thing).

There are a fair number of people here who like the inexpensive Cyberpower UPSs.

tvsjr

Guru
Great! I personally prefer the APC Smart-UPS systems, but the good ones are very expensive (unless bought used, but that's a whole different thing).

There are a fair number of people here who like the inexpensive Cyberpower UPSs.

After having some bad experiences with SmartUPSs (the standard boiling battery issues endemic to many of the older products, and one that decided to fail hot... blowing fire out the vents on both sides), I swapped everything to Cyberpower and have been quite happy. I currently have:
1 3KVa online unit with add-on battery pack (server closet)
1 2.2KVa pure-sine (my office)
3 1.5KVa pure-sine (entertainment center, wife's office, sewing machines)

I've had one issue, where one simply went catatonic. Called Cyberpower, was outside of warranty but it was a known issue, they shipped me a brand new one and a prepaid shipping label to return the defective unit for recycling. Maybe 10 minutes on the phone. I was very impressed.

Jerry11097

Dabbler
After having some bad experiences with SmartUPSs (the standard boiling battery issues endemic to many of the older products, and one that decided to fail hot... blowing fire out the vents on both sides), I swapped everything to Cyberpower and have been quite happy. I currently have:
1 3KVa online unit with add-on battery pack (server closet)
1 2.2KVa pure-sine (my office)
3 1.5KVa pure-sine (entertainment center, wife's office, sewing machines)

I've had one issue, where one simply went catatonic. Called Cyberpower, was outside of warranty but it was a known issue, they shipped me a brand new one and a prepaid shipping label to return the defective unit for recycling. Maybe 10 minutes on the phone. I was very impressed.
Wow thats impressive. I will go with cyber power then!

Jerry11097

Dabbler
That depends on many factors, including what level of redundancy you're looking for and how quickly you expect your data to grow. For example, you could start with a pair of 4TB or 6TB drives in a simple mirror, planning to add another mirror later for expansion, or you could go with four 4TB or 6TB drives in RAIDZ2 from the start.
I think I'm gonna go with four 4TB. Thanks for the advice!

snaptec

Guru
Bad luck with apc, i have Them for about 10 years in different companies, private and my company without Problems.
But faults are everywhere ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.