FreeNAS or Premade NAS Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry11097

Dabbler
Hi, I am having trouble deciding whether I should purchase Synology or setup FreeNAS on a small old computer. As of now I have FreeNAS setup inside a virtualbox, but from other postings its not recommended to run FreeNAS virtually. My purpose for creating a personal cloud is to backup my files,use it to sync all of my devices, and access my cloud from outside the LAN. I have about 2tb of storage need to be backed up. I would like for about max 5 users to access my personal cloud so I can share files with them. I am looking for a fast,reliable, secure solution. Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard

wblock

Documentation Engineer
How much does the Synology setup cost?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
For that kind of money, you can build a Supermicro X10 or X11 system. FreeNAS uses a standard filesystem, so if the motherboard dies, you can connect it to something else and still get to your data. Some of the proprietary systems aren't so open.

melloa

Wizard

Jerry11097

Dabbler
For that kind of money, you can build a Supermicro X10 or X11 system. FreeNAS uses a standard filesystem, so if the motherboard dies, you can connect it to something else and still get to your data. Some of the proprietary systems aren't so open.
I see that makes sense, what if I use normal hardrives instead of NAS red drives to save money? Should I worry about having ECC installed? A

melloa

Wizard
I see that makes sense, what if I use normal hardrives instead of NAS red drives to save money? Should I worry about having ECC installed?

As ZFS keeps lots of things in memory, ECC and UPS are a must have; Disks? Desktop grade works, but not as durable as Red, so you may be changing disks more often. Also when replacing a disk the remaining ones goes under lot of stress to resilver the data and other may fail, so read https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/ to understand the best configuration for your volumes.

Jerry11097

Dabbler
As ZFS keeps lots of things in memory, ECC and UPS are a must have; Disks? Desktop grade works, but not as durable as Red, so you may be changing disks more often. Also when replacing a disk the remaining ones goes under lot of stress to resilver the data and other may fail, so read https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/ to understand the best configuration for your volumes.
Ok, I will read that. Thanks for all of this info I want to be sure in the long run that my system is stable. I plan to keep my files on the personal cloud for many years.

Stux

MVP
You still need a backup plan, with either the synology or FreeNAS

For that type of money I'd suggest going with a quality FreeNAS build.

I'd also recommend NAS drives, either seagate or wd. Look for specials/sales

tvsjr

Guru
The Synology boxes are nice... that's where I started. But, you have to stay within their "box" for optimal results. If you start going outside the box, you run into challenges. They can be overcome, but still. I kept mine and use it for various backup tasks. They also aren't cheap. But they are much easier to set up and run. They also (typically) prevent you from doing anything egregiously dumb.

If you have the time, want the geek cred, or want more flexibility, go with FreeNAS. Run your services in jails, or build a ESXi whitebox server and run your server stuff there with your FreeNAS as the storage target (either for the VMs themselves or just for the data).

Jerry11097

Dabbler
You still need a backup plan, with either the synology or FreeNAS

For that type of money I'd suggest going with a quality FreeNAS build.

I'd also recommend NAS drives, either seagate or wd. Look for specials/sales
So your saying on top of a free nas build you need a back up like synology? Yea, that was the main purpose, but the price tag on synology was not appealing.

snaptec

Guru
Pull it out, a new one in and stick to the manual (chapter replace)
Done

Except you made only stripes.
Raidz2 is good for reliability

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tvsjr

Guru
So your saying on top of a free nas build you need a back up like synology? Yea, that was the main purpose, but the price tag on synology was not appealing.
Not at all. That's just what I had laying around, so I used it. However, you should have some sort of backup strategy... RAID/ZFS isn't a replacement for backup. Remember the 3-2-1 strategy:
Have 3 copies of your data - the original and two backups
Keep the backup data on 2 different types of storage (disk and disk, disk and tape, disk and cloud, etc.)
Have 1 backup copy off-site.

Stux

MVP
Yes, a backup strategy/plan.

That might be connecting an external USB drive and copying your important stuff to it. Or it might be a crashplan subscription.

But you need one with FreeNAS or synology. Unless your NAS is your backup plan.

Which implies it's not the original copy.

3-2-1 is a good strategy.

3 copies including the original, 2 are backups, 1 of the backups is offsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.