Freenas on HP MICROSERVER AMD TURION 2 NEO54

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Be careful about mixing protocols. You use multiple protocols and you risk corrupting files due to file locking contention.

guglez

Explorer
Thx for this warning. Is it a known issue? Actually I will use separate directories for different protocols and/or read-only shares.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It is. It's documented in the manual somewhere not to share the same files with 2 different protocols. It will never be fixed as the problem isn't easily "solvable".

For this reason, most people do CIFS as that's the most commonly supported transfer protocol.

guglez

Explorer
@cyberjock What is the recommended disk configuration for micro server? I've reviewed your presentation and now I feel some paranoia :) I need about 1T of space for photos (mirror or something like that and I want to be able to expand it to 2T) and 3Tb of space to store movies and other non-important data. What is your recommendation on that?

agent_kith

Dabbler
As cyberjock already said, it depends on a number of factors, including the protocol used.

With CIFS, I'd expect to see speeds closer to 50 MB/sec. I have a N40L and see speeds in the 40's. Your CPU is 30% faster than mine.

My guess, is that performance would probably be worse if you added an SSD for caching (L2ARC). In general, they are used for specific use cases, where user's already have 32+Gb of RAM.
I banged on a dual port HP Intel network card and can write about 70 MB/s for very big files.

Only with CIFS though, for some reason NFS is pretty slow...

Mine is N54L and 16 GB ECC...

guglez

Explorer
I forgot to add that I have 2x1Tb wd black 7200 RE disks. I'm not sure if I want to use them but at least I can :)

guglez

Explorer
I've got two complete hangs while I tried to stop a jail with transmission (no reaction on keyboard input even the sysrq was not working). How to get the root cause of this hang? I have 2+8 gigs of dcc memory and 1+1tb wd RE disks in a stripe (this is my test setup). FreeNAS is installed on a new 8 gig usb flash.

UPD just tried to create a new jail - and the system hangs.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@cyberjock What is the recommended disk configuration for micro server? I've reviewed your presentation and now I feel some paranoia :) I need about 1T of space for photos (mirror or something like that and I want to be able to expand it to 2T) and 3Tb of space to store movies and other non-important data. What is your recommendation on that?

I have4 no recommended configuration since I don't own one. But anything with a RAIDZ2 is better for reliability reasons.

I've got two complete hangs while I tried to stop a jail with transmission (no reaction on keyboard input even the sysrq was not working). How to get the root cause of this hang? I have 2+8 gigs of dcc memory and 1+1tb wd RE disks in a stripe (this is my test setup). FreeNAS is installed on a new 8 gig usb flash.

I'd look at your BIOS settings or start trying to rule out a hardware failure. Considering that this hardware is used by many people it should work.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

guglez

Explorer
The issue is with start/stop the jail. After plugin installation the jail starting automatically. Which may hang the system. I've updated to 9.2.1.1 and it seems that the issue is gone. Now fighting against permission issues between jails (want to store the data from transmission jail on my custom dataset)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The issue is with start/stop the jail. After plugin installation the jail starting automatically. Which may hang the system.

Exactly. That ticket you linked said that when they tried to install a plugin it froze. They didn't even get to the point of starting or stopping any jails. They flat out wouldn't install.

I've updated to 9.2.1.1 and it seems that the issue is gone. Now fighting against permission issues between jails (want to store the data from transmission jail on my custom dataset)

Many problems with 9.2.1 were fixed in 9.2.1.1. I can't even keep track of everything that broke and/or was fixed in 9.2.1.1 over 9.2.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.