FreeNAS on Apple TV 1st Gen????

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsi095

Cadet
Hi,

I have installed an ubuntu variant on my Apple TV previously. Has anyone installed FreeNAS on an AppleTV (silver version)? Is it possible?

Dave

pjdw

Cadet
I use my apple TV2 with my NAS. Runs OK.
Cannot imaging that you can install freenas on a apple tv. I believe it runs on i86 or amd64.

gsi095

Cadet
I use my apple TV2 with my NAS. Runs OK.
Cannot imaging that you can install freenas on a apple tv. I believe it runs on i86 or amd64.

I have run a custom ubuntu distro made for the first gen apple tv so it is possible. I did say firstbgen appletv not the black one.

If I had an image I could run it

Tekkie

Patron
ubuntu is not freebsd so I am not sure how you want to run FreeNAS... Also why would you want to run FreeNAS on an Apple TV? I can imaging running XBMC or something like that on an Apple TV but FreeNAS???

gsi095

Cadet
ubuntu is not freebsd so I am not sure how you want to run FreeNAS... Also why would you want to run FreeNAS on an Apple TV? I can imaging running XBMC or something like that on an Apple TV but FreeNAS???

It would make a good freenas box, it's free ( I already own it), it's low power, quiet, add USB hard drives and away you go. I don't use it to watch video at the moment.

I guess if it can't run freebsd that's my answer

insaneboy

Cadet
I was thinking the same thing. looking for a new NAS since LaCie has decided to drop support for my d2 NASand it doesn't work with mac os 10.7's AFP :mad:

in any case I have a first gen appleTV kicking around just using it for internet radio on the stereo in my workshop right now, have the second gen hooked up to the TV.

I think the ATV would be ideal for this usage, for it's size and low power use and it just looks nice (and matches the two external drives I own too!)

it has a 10/100 ethernet and wifi(my network is only 10/100) and USB 2.0 port processor is a 1GHz PentiumM so in theory it should work, right? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.