FreeNAS on an Apple Cube possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonne

Cadet
Hey folks!
I have a nearly 10 Years old Apple Cube (450 MHz PowerPC Processor G4) wich I would like to turn into a perfekt NAS system, cause it has NO vents and ist total quiet therefore. Is it possible to install FreeNAS on it? Maybe even with a RAID1 or at least a JBOD configuration? Looking forward to any suggestions on this project.
Thx:D,
tonne

Infos on the mashine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cube

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi tonne,

I'm sorry to report that since the cube is PPC based, Freenas will not run on it.

-Will

tonne

Cadet
Hey Will,
thx 4 your quick respond although this is no good news 4 me. Anyway, so I'll silence down my other old Pentium Pro machine and give that one a try. By the way: How many HDDs do I need for setting up a RAID 1 system? (1 HDD for FreeNAS and 2 for the RAID?)
tonne

parks853

Dabbler
Hey Will,
thx 4 your quick respond although this is no good news 4 me. Anyway, so I'll silence down my other old Pentium Pro machine and give that one a try. By the way: How many HDDs do I need for setting up a RAID 1 system? (1 HDD for FreeNAS and 2 for the RAID?)
tonne

It is recommended to install freeNAS on a USB drive, then 2 drives for your mirror should get you going.

Status
Not open for further replies.