FreeNAS Mini, Intel Avoton C2750 and or C2550 sabnzbd jail performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulburn

Contributor
As the title states. Does anyone have any info regarding the FreeNAS Mini, Intel Avoton C2750 and or C2550 sabnzbd jail performance? I am trying to figure out if they can handle downloading/par2/extracting well, or if things grind to a halt when attempting to do so. I've seen a few reviews of these boards, but nothing relating to their jail performance in this regard. Thanks for any input.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As the title states. Does anyone have any info regarding the FreeNAS Mini, Intel Avoton C2750 and or C2550 sabnzbd jail performance? I am trying to figure out if they can handle downloading/par2/extracting well, or if things grind to a halt when attempting to do so. I've seen a few reviews of these boards, but nothing relating to their jail performance in this regard. Thanks for any input.

Is the workload embarassingly parallel? If so, the C27xx Atoms ought to work well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Should perform fine. Even if it's single core, it's not like you download something and need it extracted seconds later or the Earth is going split in two. You get 8 cores on that CPU, so everything else should run just fine.

soulburn

Contributor
Is the workload embarassingly parallel? If so, the C27xx Atoms ought to work well.

The workload involves extracting files (zip, rar, 7z, etc), and parity checking and repair.

Should perform fine. Even if it's single core, it's not like you download something and need it extracted seconds later or the Earth is going split in two. You get 8 cores on that CPU, so everything else should run just fine.

Agreed and point taken. I just remember working with this board and it was complete garbage. FreeNAS would grind to a halt when doing any extracting/parity check/repair. It was so bad even media I was streaming would stutter when sabnzbd would simultaneously encounter a file that had to be repaired with parity data or had to be extracted. Ever since then I've been weary of these integrated, low power CPU's. From what everyone is saying though, these C27xx are quite capable.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The problem is less with the CPU and more with the pool's performance. The jail will try to eat the data as fast as it can and that I/O is sometimes enough to make the pool have problems. I've had to tweak my scrub settings a little because my Plex jail would have problems keeping up with simple streaming. This isn't so much a CPU problem as it is a pool problem. Of course, the CPU *may* be a limiting factor, but that's why you set the number of cores to 1 or something. Let it slowly eat away at its work without interfering (too much) with other functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.