FreeNAS IOC fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireball81

Explorer
Hello guys,

unfortunately i can`t get rid of an error that occurs randomly but especially when i boot up FreeNAS i see this more and more often.
(seem to me it happens more often since the update to 11.1 U2 but i can be wrong)

5fihy8er.jpg

Hardware:
- X-Case RM 424 (no expander backplane)
- Supermicro X11SSL-CF
- 32GB ECC RAM
- LSI 9211-8i SAS HBA
- Zpool consists of 2xRAIDZ2 sets of 7x8TB Seagate ST8000VN0022 each

I tried to switch the SAS hba but this didn`t really change anything. The firmware of the legacy LSI HBA is at the latest version.
When i started with the LSI 3008 of the Supermicro board with just 7x8TB everything was fine so i was thinking to maybe purchase a addiitional LSI 3008 and replace the LSI 9211-8i with it.
This is my second 9211-i HBA already but i just can`t get rid of this nasty issue.
Any ideas?

Thank you

Fireball81

Explorer
Thank you for your reply but no, like i said, i use the XCase RM424 without an expander backplane.
so its a regular backplane with 6xSAS 8087.
I also changed the cables completely but that did not change anything either.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 14 drives connected to SAS, correct. One SAS controller or two. If one SAS controller you have an expander. I did not say expander backplane. ANY expander can cause the issue not just an expander backplane. Though it could be the backplane or a drive that is causing the issue since one port or drive could be causing the whole array to go out of whack.

Fireball81

Explorer
I got one PCIe HBA including and one that is embedded on the X11SSL-CF but I thought that would be clear from the description above.
So basically it is the SAS 3008 and the LSI 9211-8i, of the 14 drives overall, 7 are connected to the embedded SAS controller of the motherboard and the remaining drives to the LSI 9211-8i.
I switched the LSI 9211-8i two times already but like I said above, when I started this i only had 7 drives connected to the SAS 3008 which did not give me any trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.