FreeNas installed - can't log-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonyx

Cadet
Freenas is installed, rebooted, got my ip address, opened a window in chrome typed in the ip address and got into Freenas IMG_0667.jpg and this. I have to type in a user name - but I never used on for the root password

(I tried to search this but nothing as worded)

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 296

kdragon75

Wizard
but I never used on for the root password
Out of curiosity what did you not set a root password?
You can use the console to reset the root password. It looks like you have a a Supermicro board with IPMI. You could use that to do it remotely.

kdragon75

Wizard
Im guessing your avoidance of setting a root password is for security reasons. You should be able to set one, setup administrative users as needed and remove the password. Don't forget to secure the console/IPMI too! Oh and you may want to setup self signed certs at the minimum. FreeNAS is kind of wide open by default...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have to type in a user name - but I never used on for the root password
Huh?

When you installed FreeNAS, you were asked to set a root password. To log into the web GUI, the username will be "root", and the password will be whatever you set in the installer.

lemonyx

Cadet
Huh?

When you installed FreeNAS, you were asked to set a root password. To log into the web GUI, the username will be "root", and the password will be whatever you set in the installer.

Yes, I did put in a "root" password. So the username is "root" thanks danb35, I would never have thought of that one.

lemonyx

Cadet
Out of curiosity what did you not set a root password?
You can use the console to reset the root password. It looks like you have a a Supermicro board with IPMI. You could use that to do it remotely.

My problem was the user name, I never used one when I put in the "root" password - thanks

kdragon75

Wizard
3.2 Logging in

Please to skim the ENTIRE guide. Admittedly some information is tucked away in non-obvious places but most of what you need is in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.