FreeNAS in a VM for video

Hello guys,

Long story short, I am a videomaker with a lot of rushes and applications (mostly Windows) to manipulate them and a Plex Media Server to serve them (max 2 simultaneaous streams)

I came across a super cheap Supermicro SC846 on Ebay with X9DRi-LN4F motherboard, 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2680 CPU and an Adaptec RAID 72405 card. I added 64 Gb of RAM and a 1 Tb Samsung 970 EVO NVMe to store OS.

So here I am, ready to add disks to my new setup and transfer my data (I have 15 HDD, ranging from 500 Gb to 8 Tb that I wish to add to this system).

But I hesitate on the path to follow, and I like you guys to help me choose the right way.

My first idea was to install Proxmox to be able to launch VMs (this way, I could also replaced two old PCs running stuff). So with Proxmox installed, I imagine having :

- a FreeNAS VM with 4 cores and 16 Gb of RAM
- a Ubuntu VM with 8 cores and 32 Gb of RAM
- a Windows VM with 4 cores and 16 Gb of RAM

The hard disks would be passthroughed directly to FreeNAS, so that Proxmox don't mess up with them (the only accessible drive for Proxmox would be the NVMe). And FreeNAS would be responsible to share these disks through my network.

From time to time, I also need some computing power. I could have a special VM with 12 cores and 48 Gb of RAM, that I run only after having stopped the Ubuntu and Windows VM. I also plan to add a graphic card to the setup, to gain the GPU power.

I'm not into redundancy. I just need storage. My files are also saved somewhere else, so if I loose a disk, well, I have to replace and repopulate it. It can be long but it's always doable. Just one hard disk has really critical files, and it is locally saved on another hard drive + in another location. I don't use the RAID from the Adaptec card. All disks are set to single volumes.

But I'm a real newb both at Proxmox and FreeNAS (and FreeBSD). From what I read here and there, FreeNAS on a VM is not really the recommended way, except for some gurus who perfectly know what they're doing (not me).

I have a Plex Media Server running on Ubuntu that I wish to transfer to this new setup (But I saw I could do it in a jail directly within FreeNAS) to serve these files. I have a big main PC to edit and encode videos, but my idea would be to keep only the editing on my main PC and transfer encoding on the Windows VM, so that I could keep working on my main PC while encoding.

So please be kind enough to tell me what you think of the path I'm taking. Would you do it another way ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices

Yorick

Wizard
As a noob myself, I'd do it the other way around. FreeNAS on the bare metal, then run your Ubuntu and Windows VMs inside the bhyve that ships with FreeNAS.

IQless

Contributor
I don't use the RAID from the Adaptec card. All disks are set to single volumes.
Do not trust "Singel Volumes" from a RAID card unless you can flash it to IT mode. You never know what the RAID card reports back to the OS.
You would be better off with an HBA like the LSI 9211-i8 or similar. To accommodate all the drive slots in your case you might need a few (depending on the backplane in the case).

Thanks. I'll have a look at that to see if I can flash the card to IT mode.

Any other advice on the way to look at my system ? I do not know about Bhyve. Will it be as good as Proxmox to manage VM ?

Yorick

Wizard
I don't see bhyve as having anywhere close to the same management tools as Proxmox. It's very basic. FreeNAS is almost trivial to install and play with: I'd say give it a try, see whether not having Proxmox-level tools is good enough for your use case.

If you need those tools, then you'd either need to keep FreeNAS and Proxmox separate, which may be the best course of action - or get past noob level and learn the ins and outs of how to pass an HBA through. Which also depends on the board, what little I read suggests this does not work equally well with all boards.