freenas does not respond to network NTP requests

ianrm

Dabbler
Hi folks,
I have setup my freenas as the network time source but it never responds. I have edited ntp.conf, stopped ntpd and restarted it

What else do I need to do to enable the freenas to respond to ntp calls?
Ian

jgreco

Resident Grinch
ntpd should never be configured to provide timeservice to anyone without a deliberate choice by the admin. As such, the FreeNAS ntp.conf file is not set up to provide timeservice. There have been a number of unfortunate "default configuration incidents" in the past that have led to denial of service attacks and other such badness.

Did you edit your ntp.conf? If so, don't bother. Your FreeNAS host is going to overwrite ntp.conf at every boot. There is no supported method to make what you want happen on an ongoing basis.

In theory you could add an appropriate restrict line (the "restrict default ignore" and "restrict -6 default ignore" are what's preventing service). However, this would only be a temporary change until the next reboot. So, as I said, don't bother.

It is possible, unlikely, but possible, that the developers would be open to making timeservice available on the local network(s). You can file a feature request if you want.

One of my other hats is infrastructure engineering for NTP.ORG. As such, I would point out that there are benefits to dedicated timekeeping hardware, even if it is just a small device like a Raspberry Pi, which you can configure to run NTP, recursion DNS, DHCP, and maybe a few other critical network services if you like.

ianrm

Dabbler
Hi greco,
thank you for the detailed answer. I built the new nas because I wanted to use a 10gb interface so I thought I might as well add the NTP function which was available in my older NAS and previous firewall. I had considered the PI or even a small linux server looks like it is the PI.
There are a number of web pages indicating you can use freenas as a time server, but they didn't work so I came to ask.
Ian

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You could easily set it up in a jail if you're determined to have the function on that hardware...

ianrm

Dabbler
Thank you for the information. Jails are not good because they do not use the freenas NTPD function to obtain the NTP results, this my understanding from searches.
Ian

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You could easily set it up in a jail if you're determined to have the function on that hardware...

No, you can't, because the NTP in the base system owns the kernel timekeeping functions, and my recollection is that jails are not permitted to slew the time. That doesn't actually seem to be documented in adjtime(2) though.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
No, you can't, because the NTP in the base system owns the kernel timekeeping functions, and my recollection is that jails are not permitted to slew the time. That doesn't actually seem to be documented in adjtime(2) though.
looks like there's a priv_check() for PRIV_NTP_ADJTIME and PRIV_ADJTIME in relevant functions. Looks like those aren't permitted in prison_priv_check() in sys/kern/kern_jail.c (falls through to default):
Code:
        default:
                /*
                 * In all remaining cases, deny the privilege request.  This
                 * includes almost all network privileges, many system
                 * configuration privileges.
                 */
                return (EPERM);

jgreco

Resident Grinch
looks like there's a priv_check() for PRIV_NTP_ADJTIME and PRIV_ADJTIME in relevant functions.

Yeah, that's why I said it. :smile: It's one of several long term issues I've been subversively trying to get addressed.

I already managed to get the network code in ntpd rewritten to allow specific interface binding, which sounds simple, but isn't in practice. The original code assumed that all networks were ethernet and that certain behaviours were acceptable, but if you use more advanced networking like OSPF with a service address on loopback, networking looks like a completely different thing, and it becomes very reasonable to want a policy like "all timeservice only happens on this one IP address, all packets will be originated with this address, no exceptions." Part of my subversiveness was to introduce OSPF into the ntp.org environment and now portions of the network run on OSPF, including the internal clocks. Nice regression prevention, huh.

Recently, Harlan's been talking with Cy Schubert about clamping issues in securemode. In virtualization environments, a virtual machine can get stunned or just be in resource contention, and the clock can get far enough off that ntpd has a tough time catching back up because of some design decisions made in the pre-virtualization era that assumed that a machine would always hold an even keel. That's not true for VM's, and I've seen problems with this for a very long time, maybe only because our network monitoring system has tight parameters for NTP.

I've been an advocate and user of jails basically since phk introduced them, and one of the slightly annoying things about ntpd is that it can't be jailed, although it happily chroots. For my purposes, that's almost the same thing, but Harlan completely drank the "jail" kool-aid I handed him, and has been very enthusiastic about the prospect of jailing services whenever possible.

That's my very long way of saying that it's on my list of things to see if I can get changed for the better. Unfortunately, the jail issue is a bit complicated because you do not want to get into a situation where there are two ntpd's, one in base and one in a jail, trying to slew the clock. Much hilarity would ensue. It isn't clear what a suitable fix is.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yeah, that's why I said it. :smile: It's one of several long term issues I've been subversively trying to get addressed.

I already managed to get the network code in ntpd rewritten to allow specific interface binding, which sounds simple, but isn't in practice. The original code assumed that all networks were ethernet and that certain behaviours were acceptable, but if you use more advanced networking like OSPF with a service address on loopback, networking looks like a completely different thing, and it becomes very reasonable to want a policy like "all timeservice only happens on this one IP address, all packets will be originated with this address, no exceptions." Part of my subversiveness was to introduce OSPF into the ntp.org environment and now portions of the network run on OSPF, including the internal clocks. Nice regression prevention, huh.

Recently, Harlan's been talking with Cy Schubert about clamping issues in securemode. In virtualization environments, a virtual machine can get stunned or just be in resource contention, and the clock can get far enough off that ntpd has a tough time catching back up because of some design decisions made in the pre-virtualization era that assumed that a machine would always hold an even keel. That's not true for VM's, and I've seen problems with this for a very long time, maybe only because our network monitoring system has tight parameters for NTP.
I've noted the same as well regarding time. Every Windows Domain Controller is a time server, users like to virtualize DCs (and forget to set up an external time source), kerberos (authentication) is time-sensitive. Headaches ensue.

sretalla