SOLVED Alternative to NTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
Hi,

So I was trying to work with an application that uses 2FA against the system clock and noticed that my system clock had not been syncing at all via NTP. After doing some research, I found out that my ISP blocks both inbound and outbound requests on UDP port 123. This "might" explain why I was getting a no suitable server error no matter what I did (yes I have tried alternative ntp servers like time.google.com and port.ntp.org, etc).

I've since retired the application above, but I do worry about other services that may need a near accurate sync of the system clock. Forgive me for being new to this but is there any alternative solution I could use to get the system clock synced to a third party without directly using NTP?

At the moment, I'm still using FN9.10.2-U6 due to some compatibility problems with other software at the moment when I tried moving over to 11.

Thanks again!

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
Fixed for the most part.
What did it for me was loading up a custom firmware on my router and adding an entry to the iptable that modifies what comes from UDP 123 to make it look like a new port. NTP is working fine now :)

Here's the command I used. My router is an ASUS RT-AC68P and was able to temporarily telnet into it and add a script thanks to ASUSWRT-Merlin:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -p udp --sport 123 -j MASQUERADE --to-ports 49152-65535 --random

Reference Article:
https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fibe...MZplus-blocks-UDP-123-NTP/td-p/5014592/page/2

Status
Not open for further replies.