FreeNAS Certificate Expired on TrueNAS Core 13 some months ago

Geoff

Dabbler
Hi,

Have looked at all the info on creating a new certificate but am stuck on Certificate Signing Authority.

Only noticed this while doing an update to 13.0-U6.1.

"Certificate 'freenas_default' has expired.
2023-10-20 00:00:31 (Australia/Adelaide)"

So, as I understand it, I create a new internal certificate, name it whatever I like, then tell TrueNAS Core to use it right? Then delete the old certificate.

Problem is, can't seem to create a new one, as it requires a Certificate Signing Authority and I don't know what to use for this.

Docs say 'select from dropdown list' unfortunately, it doesn't list any and it won't create the (internal) certificate without it and there appears to be no workaround.

What 'signing authority' does/should be used for an internal certificate? Does it actually have one?
I've gone with the defaults for a new certificate, made sure it's internal, I've filled in everything except the Certificate Signing Authority.

Would some kind soul please tell me how to do this? I have zero experience with messing with Certificates, this is a personal NAS, on old hardware.

No idea why it even has a certificate, or what it's actually used for. I just did and update to TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 From 13.0 Original. Went through ok, I can access the admin web login and all the NAS file shares are accessible from the LAN.

Why does an internal certificate need a 'signing authority' anyway, I thought they were internally signed? Isn't that the point?
No interest in paying ridiculous money for a signed certificate.

I've looked in all the other threads but they just gloss over 'create a certificate' assuming I know how to do that.

I've seen one other query with this question about signing authority but that specific question didn't seem to be answered.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Geoff
ETWebs

danb35

Hall of Famer
Instructions with screen shots are here:

danb35

Hall of Famer
No idea why it even has a certificate, or what it's actually used for.
It has a certificate because one is required in order to use HTTPS, and it uses it for that purpose--at least for the web interface, and optionally for other services as well (e.g., WebDAV, S3, FTPS).
No interest in paying ridiculous money for a signed certificate.
You don't need to pay a penny for a trusted cert; as long as you have a domain (which can also be free, and even paid domains cost somewhere around US$10/yr). Let's Encrypt has been issuing them for free for several years now, and those can be integrated into TrueNAS without a great deal of difficulty, as described here:

But you don't need to do that, and you really don't even need to renew the self-signed cert. But if you want to, the instructions I linked above walk you through the process, including creating the certificate authority.