SOLVED FreeNAS box on the way, how shall I set it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
Hi

I'm just looking for some suggestions as to how to set up my new FreeNAS device once it arrives. I have a self-built 3 Disk RAID 5 server running at the moment which the new 4 x 3TB FreeNAS will replace (I think I'll set it up as RAID-Z2). I've got three kids under 7, so there was no way I was going to have the time to build it myself.

I've been using Linux non-professionally for more that ten years, but have no experience with how FreeNAS works. Essentially, I was wondering what the opinions were about how to organise the files on the server, according to the following needs:

BACK UP: At the moment all the house machines auto-backup to CrashPlan, but their pricing policy has changed since we bought a long term subscription, so I'd like back up all the house machines to the FreeNAS server which itself would then back up to CrashPlan. I've heard about 'jails' etc. though I don't understand the concept as yet. It would be good to 'box in' each of the backed up machines (including my work laptop) separately on the FreeNAS server.

TV / MOVIES: I use PLEX and would like to continue to do so. There is about 750GB of TV Shows and Movies on the present server, where's the best place to put them, would you say? We have an Amazon Fire Stick, if that is of any relevance.

PHOTOS: At the moment we've got thousands of photos on different laptops. My gf is not good with anything that has buttons, so I need a VERY easy way for her to upload her pictures to a shared place on the FreeNAS server, so we no longer have to ask each other or copies of pictures of the kids etc.. Photos of course coming from smartphones as well as laptops, DSLRs etc. We can view photos on the TV through PLEX, it's clunky. Are there other options?

Anything else I've missed?

Many thanks.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Sure FreeNAS can handle all of that.
I've got three kids under 7, so there was no way I was going to have the time to build it myself.
I am assuming that this means you purchased a box from IXSystems? If so, can you let us know which one?

tumblingthrough

Dabbler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A FreeNAS mini knockoff? That's sleazy, mostly because they don't acknowledge that that's what it is.

Mirfster

I have never heard of that Vendor myself, so would be a bit weary of it. Not sure of the price, but you may want to consider one of the tried and true systems (aside from IXSystems) like the Dell T20. You can search the forums to get info on that.

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
Comments and opinions much appreciated, but I was after some advice as what was the best way to set up the system with the needs above, given the hardware decision has already been made.

Cheers

melloa

Wizard

diedrichg

Wizard
Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I'm in the UK, so mine's coming from PowerNAS:

http://www.powernas.co.uk/for-home/mini-freenas/

I've ordered mine with 16GB RAM.

@tumblingthrough, funny ... that company has 5 NAS models: 4 MicroSoft and one FreeNAS. Looking at their specs, they have: RAM - 8GB ECC Unbuffered (Error Checking Correcting) DDR3 1600MHz, you might not have what you need for CIFs and Plex plus OS.
Please read https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/, to get a better understand of what hardware are recommended.
He did. 16GB

gpsguy

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
It comes with a 3 year warranty, and shouldn't be overstretched by our usage.

Aside from copying the 'mini' name, all the parts for these boxes are all off the shelf, so I'm not sure 'knock-off' quite applies.

Anyway, seeing as none of you guys have heard of these people (the vending outlet is servercase.co.uk), take mine as a testbed, and I'll let you know, within my limited ability, if it's any good.

melloa

Wizard

nojohnny101

Wizard
so to answer you actual questions:

BACK UP: At the moment all the house machines auto-backup to CrashPlan, but their pricing policy has changed since we bought a long term subscription, so I'd like back up all the house machines to the FreeNAS server which itself would then back up to CrashPlan. I've heard about 'jails' etc. though I don't understand the concept as yet. It would be good to 'box in' each of the backed up machines (including my work laptop) separately on the FreeNAS server.

I do not have personal experience with crashplan but I know many on here are running that plugin within a jail. A jail is essentially an environment within freenas (but isolated) that can run any variety of software. Here is a lengthier read for you: FreeNAS Jails I will tell you though that crashplan seems to take a lot of attention and can become finicky especially during updates and such. I have seen more than a couple posts from people that are looking for alternatives because of the effort it sometimes takes to keep it running.

TV / MOVIES: I use PLEX and would like to continue to do so. There is about 750GB of TV Shows and Movies on the present server, where's the best place to put them, would you say? We have an Amazon Fire Stick, if that is of any relevance.

In this case, the plex plugin is very good for FreeNAS and should be a snap to setup. When you ask where should store your movies, well of course on FreeNAS. What you would do is create a dataset on FreeNAS (or a dataset for each type, movies, tv shows, etc.). Then create your jail, install the plex media server in the jail, then you create "pointers" inside the jail that links to the movies and tv shows in your FreeNAS box (that are outside the jail, as the jail is contained). Then you can use any computer or device to access plex and play whatever files you into plex via the jail. While some go the plugin route in the GUI, I used this excellent guide: Install Plex inside of FreeNAS jail

PHOTOS: At the moment we've got thousands of photos on different laptops. My gf is not good with anything that has buttons, so I need a VERY easy way for her to upload her pictures to a shared place on the FreeNAS server, so we no longer have to ask each other or copies of pictures of the kids etc.. Photos of course coming from smartphones as well as laptops, DSLRs etc. We can view photos on the TV through PLEX, it's clunky. Are there other options?

The easiest and most immediate solution that comes to my head is just a dataset on your FreeNAS that you create a share for. Then you could just keep whatever compute your girlfriend uses connected to that share so it is as simple as taking the photos from the computer and dropping them in that folder. The folder would be setup so she could have her own login and password and you could have your own login and password. The permissions would be setup so you both would be granted read/write access.

FreeNAS is a little bit of a steep learning curve at the beginning but once you get into the hang of things and find a groove, it starts to click and you realize how powerful the software and system is. People on here are very helpful and friendly but you should make sure to do your due diligence and search before posting and read the manual. Here are some links that you should definitely read and understand:
FreeNAS Manual
Cyberjock's Essential Newcomer's Presentation
ZFS Primer
Terminology and Abbreviations

Good luck!

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
so to answer you actual questions:

Many thanks, this is exactly the kind of advice I was after. Am quited excited by the steep learning curve, but just needed someone to get me started. I've just managed to save the data on my creaking RAID5 server, and the new FreeNAS box arrives tomorrow. Just hope my youngest doesn't pull the plug on the old server... again.

Mirfster

the new FreeNAS box arrives tomorrow
Please set aside ample time to properly burn in the hardware before jumping in. This is a vital step that many overlook and are too anxious to start slapping data on. Proper burn in should take at the very very very least a week. You can find links in my sig under "Recommended Reading".

Stux

MVP
RaidZ2 is a good choice.

I suggest looking into the Asrockrack c2550/c2750 issues. This is not specific to your vendor. In the last month the motherboard used in that turnkey system have been dropping like flies... it's not the vendors fault, but there is a bios bug, and it may cause the system to die in 15 months.

Better to avoid that issue before it happens by doing some research than have to claim warranty.

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
RaidZ2 is a good choice.

I suggest looking into the Asrockrack c2550/c2750 issues. This is not specific to your vendor. In the last month the motherboard used in that turnkey system have been dropping like flies... it's not the vendors fault, but there is a bios bug, and it may cause the system to die in 15 months.

Better to avoid that issue before it happens by doing some research than have to claim warranty.

Thanks for the heads up. I know nothing about motherboards and wouldn't know where to start. Mine is the E3C224D2I, does that make it part of the c2550 / c2750 group? Could you point me in the right direction? I guess if there's a bios bug then I need to be looking at upgrading to the latest bios, which I guess I get off the ASRack site? Obviously, I'd research first, before doing anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.