FreeNAS as Xen Dom0

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If I understand it correctly, you're proposing to replace bhyve with Xen?

I think bhyve was chosen due to the tight linkage to the FreeBSD kernel and resulting light impact on the host (leaving FreeNAS enough room to be a good Block storage/file/jails server as well).

When VirtualBox was the hypervisor (somehow a bit obvious as it's also an Oracle product... like ZFS and Solaris), resource issues were a notable struggle.

Chris123

Dabbler
A FreeNAS as Xen Dom0-solution would of course be very interesting, but I hear what you are saying on why Bhyve was chosen.

I've had the chance to test Bhyve (FreeNAS) and Xen (XCP-ng) for a few weeks, and for server virtualization these two products differ in maturity. Proxmox (qemu/kvm) seems to land somewhere in between those two.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
bhyve isn't a type 1 hypervisor, so you shouldn't expect it to compete on an even playing field with ESXi or Xen.

As you note, it is also a new kid on the block and is still developing. I understand it will deliver some incremental improvements in FreeBSD 12 (and hence FreeNAS 12).

Artion

Patron
Hi,
me too was wondering on using Xen as an hypervisor on TrueNAS. There are solutions that use both, bhyve and Xen, simultaneously: https://clonos.tekroutine.com/

And maybe the Xen part could be managed by XAPI with tools like XenOrchestra.

Interesting also this project: k8s with freebsd/bhyve

Last edited:

Alex18

Dabbler
The only thing I am missing in bhyve and what XEN has is support for live migration and seabios (for legacy boot method).

As far as I understand, if XEN is possible with TrueNAS, it will be two different distributions: TrueNAS-bhyve and TrueNAS-XEN edition.

PS: K8S is really popular today. It looks like K8S-bhyve project could be integrated with TrueNAS, since the same technologies and API are used.