FreeNAS and zfs receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred974

Contributor
Hi all,

I have 1 production server running FreeBSD 11.1 that was backup using zfs send to another FreeBSD 11.1 server that was used only for backup..
My backup server motherboard died over the weekend and a replacement part is more expensive than a new server..

We use FreeNAS in the office for file sharing.. So my question is can I send my production snapshot to freeNAS to take over my old backup server?
The reason why I am asking is because both the production server (Dell PowerEdge R610) and my freenas has the same zfs pool name (zroot).
FreeNAS has 4x 1TB in 1 single pool..

Should I create a new jail ? Could anoyone here please help me as I don not want to overwridemy FreeNAS data (/home, /usr) etc

Thank you

kdragon75

Wizard
Also, rebuild your backup server.;)

Fred974

Contributor
@kdragon75 not sure why you sending me this info as I already know how to send snapshot..
Can you narrow it down a bit? what I am looking at

kdragon75

Wizard
That link was to the receive section and talks about renaming the snapshots. Otherwise you could just rename the pools to reflect the server name. This may be some work depending on whats all running on your FreeNAS as you may need to update share and jail paths.

EDIT: Please take some and plan out naming conventions for EVERYTHING that gets named in your environment. Then at minimum keep a live spreadsheet and a printed copy of names and conventions. A bit of foresight and planning can mitigate a lot of these kind of thorny issues.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My backup server motherboard died over the weekend and a replacement part is more expensive than a new server..
That is hard to imagine. What kind of server is this? Please give details.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So my question is can I send my production snapshot to freeNAS to take over my old backup server?
Yup, just like vanilla FreeBSD (though the SSH users' setup should be done with the GUI). zfs send away.

and my freenas has the same zfs pool name (zroot).
That's not a problem unless you need to replicate over snapshots from the top-level dataset (or similarly for other datasets with the same name). If so, my suggestion is to recv them in a new, separate dataset with a distinct name and work from there.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hp proliant microserver gen7
Yes, that isn't a very expensive server, I can see how the board would be more than a new server.

Other than the pools having the same name, I don't see any problem with doing the send to FreeNAS.
I have renamed a pool before and it isn't too difficult, depending on how much is already setup on the system. Like @kdragon75 said, it works best if you have a scheme and don't make all the names the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.