FreeNAS and hardware configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeusdev

Dabbler
Hi,

I am new to FreeNAS (although I understand the basic concept) and I am interested to know how, and if, FreeNAS can help me.

I am currently using a DAS, which however had twice in the last year a power problem. Therefore, I had to wait for a new device, which cost me almost a month without being able to use the data that resided on the DAS. I was therefore wondering how to best organize my data, since I don't want my data to reside on a single machine only (I have 3 machines). I was also wondering whether having a hardware RAID configuration is the best solution, since if the RAID hardware is broken, I might lose all my data, if I am unable to reproduce the same RAID configuration.

I read about software RAID being much better, since the hardware underneath (disks) can be reused, since the RAID configuration is not on the hardware. But then I also thought that, maybe, a NAS (FreeNAS) alternative would be best. In short, I want to achieve the following:

1) 3 machine with any OS installed that do not have any data stored.
2) a software RAID or FreeNAS or anything else that I could use as a common storage device to allow clients to read and save data on it
3) a backup hardware solution where data can be synchronized (new/changed files are only processed) on a daily basis with a software or batch procedure (synchronisation has to be fast!!)

Does anyone have any tip or suggestion? Any remark or comment is really appreciated.

Many thanks.
Michael

paleoN

Wizard
I was also wondering whether having a hardware RAID configuration is the best solution, since if the RAID hardware is broken, I might lose all my data, if I am unable to reproduce the same RAID configuration.

I read about software RAID being much better, since the hardware underneath (disks) can be reused, since the RAID configuration is not on the hardware.
You are correct about hardware RAID which is part of the reason it's recommended to let ZFS handle any RAID. ZFS also makes better decisions, among other things, when it knows how many physical drives you're using. With ZFS taking care of everything you can move the discs to a new HBA, motherboard or different FreeNAS system and import the pool & have all your data.

I was therefore wondering how to best organize my data, since I don't want my data to reside on a single machine only (I have 3 machines).
3) a backup hardware solution where data can be synchronized (new/changed files are only processed) on a daily basis with a software or batch procedure (synchronisation has to be fast!!)
Build two FreeNAS boxes and have the first sync to the second. You can either use rsync or zfs send/receive with snapshots. As an added bonus you get "high availability". If the main FreeNAS goes down you just use the second FreeNAS box until you fix the first :)

You could also backup to tape. I know one of the regulars here does tape backups.

mikeusdev

Dabbler
I like this approach. Backup to tape seems too costly for me.

Is there any DIY FreeNAS box that is suggested?

Thanks.

mikeusdev

Dabbler
Another question regarding the network infrastructure. Do I need a Gigabit Switch with Jumbo Frame support? I have read that it could actually congestion the network. Does anyone have any experience and suggestion?

Thanks.

paleoN

Wizard
Do I need a Gigabit Switch
Yes :D

Ok, technically no. However, you will be sorry if you don't have it.

with Jumbo Frame support?
No.

Don't most switches support Jumbo Frames now anyway? I probably wouldn't bother with Jumbo Frames as they need to be on end-to-end. Which means all clients, the switch and the FreeNAS boxes. I don't know that you would see any real performance increase with Jumbo Frames with how you would be using it.

Have you calculated your space requirements? As for hardware, take a look at [thread=1568]FAQ - What hardware should I Buy-Get-Use, or is recommended?[/thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.