FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503200528, can't access WebUI after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark2k

Cadet
Hi,

I searched as best I could but didn't find anything similar to the issue I am having.

Yesterday I tried to update to the latest stable release FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503200528. After my system restarted, when I tried accessing the WebUI I got the error message that I pasted below in the CODE box. I can SSH into my system and access the files (also by hooking up a keyboard and monitor to the computer). I have 3 previous update boot env's available along with the original install boot. If I try to boot to one of the 3 previous update boot env's I run into a different error of "getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv8 sleeping 30 secs" which would probably require a different thread to be started to resolve that (unless it is some how related to this issue). I can boot up the default and I gain access again to WebUI but if I try updating again (to see if that would resolve the issue) I get the same error when trying to access the WebUI.

I'm not really sure what other logs would be useful for debugging this but I can't get the Debug info since I can't access the WebUI (and I don't know if it's doable from the shell). If there is any additional info that would be beneficial just let me know so I can try and get it. FYI I am a beginner when it comes to dealing with *nix but I will try my best to get the information requested.

Code:
Request Method:    GET
Request URL:    http://192.168.1.50/
Software Version:    FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503200528
Exception Type:    ImportError
Exception Value: 
cannot import name debug_get_settings
Exception Location:    /usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/documentation/views.py in <module>, line 35
Server time:    Sun, 22 Mar 2015 20:43:23 -0400
Traceback

<----------------------------- Inside Scroll Box in Browser ----------------------------->

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503200528
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.1.50/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  105.                     response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  157.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  26.                 resolve_url(login_url or settings.LOGIN_URL))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/shortcuts/__init__.py" in resolve_url
  151.         return urlresolvers.reverse(to, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in reverse
  536.     return iri_to_uri(resolver._reverse_with_prefix(view, prefix, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in _reverse_with_prefix
  403.             self._populate()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in _populate
  290.                     for name in pattern.reverse_dict:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in reverse_dict
  315.             self._populate()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in _populate
  303.                 lookups.appendlist(pattern.callback, (bits, p_pattern, pattern.default_args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in callback
  230.         self._callback = get_callable(self._callback_str)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py" in wrapper
  32.         result = func(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py" in get_callable
  97.             mod = import_module(mod_name)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py" in import_module
  40.         __import__(name)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/documentation/views.py" in <module>
  35. from freenasUI.system.utils import debug_get_settings, debug_run

Exception Type: ImportError at /
Exception Value: cannot import name debug_get_settings

<----------------------------- End of Scroll Box information ----------------------------->

Request information

GET

No GET data

No POST data

FILES

No FILES data

COOKIES

Variable    Value
csrftoken    'c0bGV7YU8kSPvTKnkVyMujoPEZ47hNsY'
fntreeSaveStateCookie    'root'
sessionid    'q1evxtz3k5asrfge6r731qylh0hjhtdq'
META

Variable    Value
REQUEST_URI    '/'
PATH_INFO    u'/'
REDIRECT_STATUS    '200'
REMOTE_ADDR    '192.168.1.6'
SERVER_ADDR    '192.168.1.50'
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE    'en-US,en;q=0.8'
HTTP_ACCEPT    'text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8'
HTTPS    ''
wsgi.multithread    True
wsgi.run_once    False
wsgi.errors    <flup.server.fcgi_base.TeeOutputStream object at 0x812088110>
SERVER_PROTOCOL    'HTTP/1.1'
QUERY_STRING    ''
HTTP_HOST    '192.168.1.50'
CONTENT_TYPE    ''
wsgi.version    (1, 0)
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL    'max-age=0'
DOCUMENT_URI    '/'
SERVER_NAME    'localhost'
CSRF_COOKIE    u'c0bGV7YU8kSPvTKnkVyMujoPEZ47hNsY'
SERVER_PORT    '80'
wsgi.multiprocess    False
GATEWAY_INTERFACE    'CGI/1.1'
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING    'gzip, deflate, sdch'
HTTP_COOKIE    'csrftoken=c0bGV7YU8kSPvTKnkVyMujoPEZ47hNsY; fntreeSaveStateCookie=root; sessionid=q1evxtz3k5asrfge6r731qylh0hjhtdq'
HTTP_USER_AGENT    'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.101 Safari/537.36'
REMOTE_PORT    '54799'
DOCUMENT_ROOT    '/usr/local/etc/nginx/html'
HTTP_CONNECTION    'keep-alive'
SERVER_SOFTWARE    'nginx/1.6.2'
SCRIPT_NAME    u''
REQUEST_METHOD    'GET'
wsgi.input    <flup.server.fcgi_base.InputStream object at 0x80a3ba150>
CONTENT_LENGTH    ''
wsgi.url_scheme    'http'

System Info:

FreeNAS Version 9.3 (latest stable at the time)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3
CPU: Intel Celeron G1630 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 2.8 GHz
RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 (8GBx2)
Boot Device: SanDisk Cruzer 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Hard Drives: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 64 MB Cache x6, RAID-Z2
Add-On Cards: None
NIC: Onboard Realtek 8111E​

I hope that is enough info to start and appreciate any help to get access back to the WebUI.

Thank you,
-Shark2k

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'm going to ignore the fact that your hardware is a crash course on exactly what *NOT* to use for FreeNAS. Except for your boot device, I'm giving you an F on hardware selection.

But be that as it may, and ironically, I think the most likely problem here is a corrupted boot device. I'd try a new boot device. If someone else has another idea, let's have it.

shark2k

Cadet
Thank you for the quick reply. I was going to originally put that I realize my hardware is not good for this but decided not to. I see that I should have actually done that. I was using this sort of as a test/learning and I do have plans to for the future to create a better system using better components (probably server grade and NAS specific HDs).

I will try another boot device.

Thank you,
-Shark2k

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The hardware you have will run FreeNAS. It just won't be as reliable, nor perform as well, as we'd like to see.

shark2k

Cadet
Alright, so I re-installed to a new boot device and was able to access the WebUI, though I was able to access the WebUI when booting off the original boot env. I decided to just reinstall the boot device I'm using. I didn't safe my config (yeah I know, no need to say anything else about it) but lucky I didn't really have much configured and I still have access to my data. I'm going to get it set back up to where I want it then save the config and do an update and see what happens. If the boot device is corrupted it might take a couple more updates but I will backup the config before each update so I'll at least have the latest.

-Shark2k

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Alright, so I re-installed to a new boot device and was able to access the WebUI, though I was able to access the WebUI when booting off the original boot env. I decided to just reinstall the boot device I'm using. I didn't safe my config (yeah I know, no need to say anything else about it) but lucky I didn't really have much configured and I still have access to my data. I'm going to get it set back up to where I want it then save the config and do an update and see what happens. If the boot device is corrupted it might take a couple more updates but I will backup the config before each update so I'll at least have the latest.

-Shark2k
You will find, elsewhere in the forum, some ideas for a script that automatically saves your configuration file for you once per day. I do it religiously.

pschatz100

Guru
You should use a new boot device and throw away the old one. You will have problems again. USB flash drives are not very reliable, and as soon as you have one that exhibits a problem, it's time to get a new one. Why risk a major problem when flash drives are so cheap? Most of the time, when a flash drive goes bad, the problems show up when writing data - such as when performing an update.

shark2k

Cadet
So an update. I reinstalled FreeNAS (using the same boot device, but I did order a new one, 32 GB San Disk Fit USB 3.0 and will get that on Wednesday hopefully) and after putting it back to how I had it I was able to recreate the error from above. I had the system working and reinstalled the Plex plugin and basically got everything back to where I wanted it. One thing that I had added that I got from another forum on another site I'm on was rar2fs to allow me to unpack rar files on the fly. The person that gave the instructions on how to set it up has a script get setup for start up to mount the directory to that the contents of the rar will be "stored" on. So after I added this script as an Init/Shutdown Script (doesn't matter if it is Pre Init or Post Init, just tested) I get the error I pasted above.

If it helps I included the contents of the script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Loading module fuse.ko ..."
/sbin/kldload fuse.ko
echo "Mounting unionfs filesystem /mnt/MegaStorage/opt/usr_local => /usr/local ..."
/sbin/mount_unionfs /mnt/MegaStorage/opt/usr_local /usr/local
echo "Starting rar2fs ..."
/usr/local/bin/rar2fs --seek-length=1 -o allow_other /mnt/MegaStorage/Media/TV_Shows /mnt/MegaStorage/Media/rar2fs_tv
/usr/local/bin/rar2fs --seek-length=1 -o allow_other /mnt/MegaStorage/Media/Movies /mnt/MegaStorage/Media/rar2fs_movies

The script works if I run it from the shell. When I reboot what was mounted no longer is, but that should be obvious. Since the script isn't being initialized there is no issue after the reboot and I am able to access the WebUI.

I'll see what happens Wednesday after I get the new USB and install to that. I just find it strange that the error occurs when I add the script to run on boot up.

-Shark2k

Last edited:

shark2k

Cadet
So I did some tests and I installed to a different 16 GB USB flash drive I had and upgraded to the latest build and got the same issue as above. Today I then decided to reinstall again but not upgrade at all and just import my zfs volume. I then setup the script as a pre init and rebooted it wouldn't get to the menu, just kept looping messages on the screen with this one sticking out to me: "getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv8 sleeping 30 secs". This happened installing on both the 8 GB and 16 GB flash drive. So I'm pretty sure the script is causing the issue, just not sure why. It was working up until I tried to upgrade to the latest 9.3 Stable on Sunday.

-Shark2k

shark2k

Cadet
I hate having 3 posts in a row, but just want at least the two people that replied to see the new post.

I don't think it ended up being the boot device, but I got a new one (the 32 GB USB 3.0 one ended up giving me the mountroot issue, so got a 16 GB USB 2.0 Staples brand to get one today). Anyway, I ended up reinstalling a bunch of times trying to figure out what was happening. I am now certain that the issue was related to the script I was trying to run. I think it might have been caused by having it set to run pre init. I would get everything working and once I put that particular script back I would either get the getty repeating message or I would get the original issue on the web browser from my OP.

I did a couple of different tests (so of course I didn't keep good track of that and don't quite remember exactly what I did each time). I created a test script that just had a paragraph of text and the issued the sleep command for 60 seconds (so I would be able to see that the script ran). I set it as both pre init and post init and had no issues. I upgraded to the latest release, did the same thing and again, no issues. I than looked at the script I was actually trying to run and the guide I originally used to get everything setup for it. I did a fresh install and did some stuff (this is where I unfortunately don't remember what I did, which is annoying) and set up the script for pre init and rebooted and it actually worked again. So I decided to upgrade to see what would happen and was back to the OP issue.

Finally I did another reinstall, made a few changes to the script and tried it as a post init instead. Rebooted the server and lo and behold it booted up again. Rebooted one more time after that and was a success again. I am now in the process of reinstalling some plug-ins. Once I do that I might (don't know if I really want to risk it/deal with it) try and do the upgrade to see if having the script run post init also resolves the OP issue. If I don't do it tonight, I might do it tomorrow and if I do I'll edit this post with whether it worked or not.

Thanks for the help and hopefully next time I post a question it will be because I am building a new server with proper equipment.

-Shark2k

zim2323

Cadet
I'll add to this....

First: MY ENVIRONMENT IS A TEST ENVIRONMENT ONLY
Mine is a virtual machine with 1 single CPU, 8gb of RAM, and a 40gb partition. I have additional drives I've added for VMware and Hyper-V test laps.
Hardware is a Rampage 4 Extreme with 64gb of RAM, and a 6core 3.2GHz CPU.

I've worked closely with developers in the past, beta testing and troubleshooting Hyper-V to get the early versions of 9.2 working.

I had a clean (no scripts?) 9.2 install. I upgraded to 9.3 and everything seemed to work, but when it got to the console menu it would repeat the menu several times and then I get a "init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs" message.

This is a VM so I reverted to my 9.2 snapshot, backed up the config and tried a fresh install. Worked fine. Restored config, and same issue.

Not sure where I need to go from here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know someone I had talked to a few weeks ago said that in a VM they were getting getty repeating and it seemed to be related to the virtualization layer. Not sure where they went with it from there or if it was ever positively identified (or even fixed).

Unfortunately, unless it's on real hardware I'm not personally too interested in it. We tell people not to virtualize for real-world (Yes, I see yours is just a test platform). *I*, personally, haven't had problems running FreeNAS in a VM for testing stuff lately (no getty problems or otherwise) so I tend to think something is unique to your virtualized hardware and FreeNAS' interaction with it.

Ikarus

Cadet
I know someone I had talked to a few weeks ago said that in a VM they were getting getty repeating and it seemed to be related to the virtualization layer. Not sure where they went with it from there or if it was ever positively identified (or even fixed).

Unfortunately, unless it's on real hardware I'm not personally too interested in it. We tell people not to virtualize for real-world (Yes, I see yours is just a test platform). *I*, personally, haven't had problems running FreeNAS in a VM for testing stuff lately (no getty problems or otherwise) so I tend to think something is unique to your virtualized hardware and FreeNAS' interaction with it.

I have the same problem ("init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs") like zim2323 - but I have real hardware.
I found this problem on:

Intel S5000PSL-Mainboard, 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz, 32GB RAM, Intel remote management modul 2 (axxrmm2)
Intel S5000PAL-Mainboard, 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel remote management modul 2 (axxrmm2)
Intel S5000PAL-Mainboard, 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 @ 2.40GHz, 32GB RAM, Intel remote management modul 2 (axxrmm2)
Intel S2600CP4-Mainboard, 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L @ 2.00GHz, 96GB RAM, Intel remote management modul 4

Service "django" died after one week on two servers. -> WebGUI was not accessible.
After restarting "django" the WebGUI was accessible.

I upgraded these servers from "FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)" to "FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201504100216" via WebGUI.

There were no problems with "FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)".

Ikarus

Cadet
Hello,

I found a workaround.

Fist my old config with the problem "init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs":
I am using a IPv4/IPv6 dual stack networking and all networkinterfaces are bound to IPv4 and IPv6.
In the webGUI (System -> General) I selected only one "WebGUI IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.39" and only one "WebGUI IPv6 Address: 2001:6f8:9f9f:8888:e192:e168:d2:e38".

My new config:
In the webGUI (System -> General) I selected only one "WebGUI IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.39" (like before) - but all configured IPv6 adresses "WebGUI IPv6 Address: ::"
After that I rebootet and there were no problem "init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs".

When I change back to my old config, the problem occurs again.

The problem seems to be related to IPv6-addresses.

(sorry for my bad english but i am german)

rtzIT

Cadet
I have the same problem ("init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs") like zim2323 - but I have real hardware.

I had this issue as well ("init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs") booting from a USB drive. I discovered a line in rc.conf had been changed from:

nginx_enable="YES"
to
NgINX_ENABLE="yes"

I'm sure mine was just a user error but it's worth connecting via ssh to check that this line is included and correct. I have two machines running so was fortunate to be able to compare side by side.

JRamos55

Cadet
I had this issue as well ("init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs") booting from a USB drive. I discovered a line in rc.conf had been changed from:

nginx_enable="YES"
to
NgINX_ENABLE="yes"

I'm sure mine was just a user error but it's worth connecting via ssh to check that this line is included and correct. I have two machines running so was fortunate to be able to compare side by side.

Hellow,
I am Jaime and definitely new on this. I have the same issue on real hard ware. I had completed my installation successfully and did a proper shut-down. Moved the box to it's permanent location and turn it on an it began repeating "freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0/ sleeping 30 secs". Can you tell me where can I find rf.conf and how to edit it?

hilton8r

Dabbler
@JRamos, you can use "vi /etc/rc.conf" to modify the rc.conf file if necessary. It was not necessary for me. Google vi to understand how to make/save changes if you need. I figured I would provide an answer in case anybody wants to confirm the setting (I realize you posted a very long time ago, and probably have already figured it out).

I've had this "getty" issue with 9.10.2 stable U6 for quite some time, and was simply booting to the previous U3 version. My issue is now resolved, so I'll throw out what I know.

I don't remember for certain what the webgui ipv6 address setting was to begin with. It might have been 0.0.0.0, and I changed it to ::. Or maybe it was :: to begin with. I did add 192.168.9.2 for the webgui ipv4 address. This is the ip address my gui has always used in the past. Both settings are found under system/general tab. I had rebooted several times over teh last month or two after doing this change without success. However, I took another crack at it today. I reactivated U3, and then removed U6 under the system/boot tab. U6 was showing active on next boot status. Then I simply reapplied the U6 update under the system/update tab. The only unexpected thing was a second reboot.

In summary, my issue seemed to have to do with ipv4/ipv6 settings, but I needed to remove the U6 update and reapply the U6 update with the ipv6 setting set to :: and the imv4 setting set to the ip address my gui has always used in the past. Anyhow, I hope this helps somebody in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.