FreeNAS 8. More than one CIFS service on a single volume machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgk

Dabbler
Does anybody knows if you can create more than one CIFS share on a single disk single UFS volume machine in FreeNAS 8? In FreeNAS 7 you could create subdirectories on a disk with the FreeNAS File Manager and the you could have different CIFS services each one pointing to a different subdirectory.
Can you do something similar with FreeNAS 8? Because FN 8 lacks a File Manager (as part of the administration browser based UI) to make subdirectories on your /mnt/vol and, if you try to create another CIFS share, it points again to your /mnt/vol and the second CIFS share overlaps the first one.
Anybody knows if you can do it? and how?

Durkatlon

Patron
If anything you could share out the main volume, then use your favorite Windows desktop to make the subfolders in the main volume. Then you can go back into the GUI and redefine the shares the way you really want them. Alternatively you could go into the shell from the console (option 9) or using ssh, and make the subfolders from the command-line.

dziring

Dabbler
I am able to do what you are describing in 8.01-b4. There is a file manager interface that allows you to choose the directory you wish to share.

Durkatlon

Patron
I am able to do what you are describing in 8.01-b4. There is a file manager interface that allows you to choose the directory you wish to share.

But it has to exist already, right? The OP's problem is sharing subdirectories on a large volume that do not exist yet.

sgk

Dabbler
Where is the file manager interface in FN 8 GUI tool?
I created 3 subdirectories in the /mnt/vol, using Linux File manager (smb client) which I can see and browse from a Windows machine. But...when I try to create a second CIFS share and point it to one of these subdirectories the FreeNAS GUI tool only shows me the /mnt/vol and does not open up any tree for subdirectories. Any ideas?

Durkatlon

Patron
On the "Add CIFS Share" dialog box, there is a Path field that has a Browse button next to it. When you click it a file manager (well, directory picker) expands out.

sgk

Dabbler
Yep, I know. The problem is that when I click on it, it only shows me the root of the tree (/mnt/vol) without any + to allow for expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.