FreeNAS 8 CPU requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

openletter

Cadet
I've been using an older version of FreeNAS for years now, but I've been increasing my usage lately and storing some data that I would rather not lose. The RAIDz1 sounds interesting to me, but I was wondering about CPU requirements?

I see quite a few discussions on RAM, but nothing on the CPU. I'm only planning on using five 1 TB drives, so I'm assuming that my old board's max 8 GB of DDR2-800 will be acceptable, but I'm not so sure about my Athlon 64 X2 4200+.

Will this be a sufficient CPU? Are users finding considerable CPU loading on this new build?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi openletter,

I ran FreeNAS 8 on an AMD 4850e (2.5ghz) chip for a while and it worked just fine. I was using 6X1TB 7200rpm drives in Raidz with 8Gb of ram and never had any concerns about running out of CPU. Worst case I would see about 60% utilization.

I'd just give it a try with the current hardware & see what you think. What's the motherboard? Are you planning on just replacing the chip if you need more grunt?

-Will

openletter

Cadet
The motherboard is an Asus M3A78-EM. It can handle quite a bit more CPU as it's AM2+, but I'm hoping to just get by with what I've got.

I see a lot people posting about building FreeNAS with latest and greatest CPUs, and it's perplexing, so I wasn't sure if maybe the new build required more processing.

Thanks for the info.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi openletter,

Yeah, it kind of stumps me as well, but then I can't judge because I'm running a quad-core Phenom II. It was either put it in the filer or the XBMC box. Of course it's kind of tough to even buy a slow proc these days!

-Will

louisk

Patron
I think the CPU specs are going to be more about how much you're utilizing your NAS than anything else. For example, if you have 2 SMB clients which read/write <1G/day, I expect you could get by with the slowest 64bit CPU you can purchase. If you're going to have 100 clients read/write >1T/day, you probably want at least 4 cores and 2GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.