FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950) - No more AD user listed in permissions setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Cadet
Hello,

I'm having trouble with permissions settings since I have upgraded to r11950, AD users/groups are no longer listed in ZFS/Datasets permissions menu. (they were in FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x86).

I've executed wbinfo -u/-g/-u, net ads join, getent passwd/group commands and everything is there, all right... The only thing is they are not listed in permissions, even entering them manual don't work.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Trauma

Cadet
Today i've rebooted the system, and I could find this in the log:

Code:
Oct 16 09:49:38 SRVNAS manage.py: [common.freenasusers:307] FreeNAS Directory Users could not be retrieved: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
Oct 16 09:49:39 SRVNAS manage.py: [common.freenasusers:307] FreeNAS Directory Users could not be retrieved: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
Oct 16 09:49:39 SRVNAS manage.py: [common.freenasusers:200] FreeNAS Directory Groups could not be retrieved: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
Oct 16 09:49:40 SRVNAS manage.py: [common.freenasusers:200] FreeNAS Directory Groups could not be retrieved: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

It's look like the issue come from here, anyone could help me to fix this?

Thx.

ACGS

Cadet
I am a relative newbie to FreeNAS.

I'm having similiar trouble with permissions settings, except that I don't have AD Users. I use an anonymous access "guest" account.

Since I upgraded to FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950) from FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-amd64, I can read and view the CIFS Share, but I no longer have write permissions.
I get the error message "You require permissions from FREENAS\guest to make changes to this file."
All permissions boxes in the guest account setup are checked.

Pls HELP!!!!

ACGS

Cadet
I found the answer in another post. I used:

chmod -R 777 /mnt/volume/

I can now write, save, and delete files.

Trauma

Cadet
Sorry but your problème isn't similar at all, it's obviously off topic IMHO.

Any way, I still didn't solve my issue... any one please? :D

jakeharrop

Cadet
I suspect this doesn't help at all, but I'm on 8.3.0 having just 'upgraded' from NAS4Free and I'm having the exact same issue. I can access shares with a domain account, but it seems impossible to authenticate ftp sessions using active directory. In addition, ZFS volumes do not seeem to implement windows ACL's properly - they lose the write permissions when set to use Windows ACL.

Very, very frustrating !!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd think that authenticating an FTP session using active directory would be dependent on the FTP server service. I've never even heard of someone trying to authenticate against AD using FTP. Obviously, FTP was around LONG before AD, and will probably be around long after AD is superceded by whatever is in the future. I'd never expect that kind of FTP support especially considering that AD is entirely Windows based.

lorenzoASR

Dabbler
hello Trauma, found a solution?

I've your same problem!

- ws2008 AD added succesfully
- wbinfo -b/wbinfo -g/net ads join/getent passwd/group commands works perfectly

the only problem is that I can't set permissions on the volume becouse i don't see my users or groups...

Thanks in advance

(edit, my bad, I didn't realize that this is an old thread, but nonetheless, I'm still having this problem)

+1 for this issue.

Everything seems to check out, and my old permissions are working, but I can't seem to see AD users or groups anymore in the GUI.

all the command line checks seem okay.

Tried w/ 8.3.1-RELEASE-p1-x64 then upgraded to p2 thinking that that might fix the issue. Still nothing.

Before you ask, I've got 8GB of RAM.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, when someone can provide some step-by-step directions to reproduce the issue I'm sure the bug can be found. There's no chance this is going to get fixed as long as people are only making posts along the lines of "my car won't start". What is needed is solid evidence of what the issue is exactly(not the end result) and how to reproduce it or how it has been fixed by someone that is sufficient to identify the issue.

Jason-

Not sure what your configuration is, but if you are using ZFS of any size you are already below the minimum recommended. You should have 6GB of RAM(more depending on your zpool size) plus 2GB for winbind's internal cache. So you technically are below the minimum recommended for FreeNAS. See section 1.4.2 of the manual. Note that I'm not saying that RAM is your problem, but you really should have more. For all we know the issue is that the winbind cache isn't being allocated enough RAM because ZFS is stealing all available RAM.

(edit, my bad, I didn't realize that this is an old thread, but nonetheless, I'm still having this problem)

+1 for this issue.

Everything seems to check out, and my old permissions are working, but I can't seem to see AD users or groups anymore in the GUI.

all the command line checks seem okay.

Tried w/ 8.3.1-RELEASE-p1-x64 then upgraded to p2 thinking that that might fix the issue. Still nothing.

Before you ask, I've got 8GB of RAM.

Ugh. I just turned on verbose logging and now it's working. Oh well.

Well, when someone can provide some step-by-step directions to reproduce the issue I'm sure the bug can be found. There's no chance this is going to get fixed as long as people are only making posts along the lines of "my car won't start". What is needed is solid evidence of what the issue is exactly(not the end result) and how to reproduce it or how it has been fixed by someone that is sufficient to identify the issue.

Jason-

Not sure what your configuration is, but if you are using ZFS of any size you are already below the minimum recommended. You should have 6GB of RAM(more depending on your zpool size) plus 2GB for winbind's internal cache. So you technically are below the minimum recommended for FreeNAS. See section 1.4.2 of the manual. Note that I'm not saying that RAM is your problem, but you really should have more. For all we know the issue is that the winbind cache isn't being allocated enough RAM because ZFS is stealing all available RAM.

I would love to be able to be able to reproduce the issue. :)

On this RAM topic, help me understand...would it be apparent somewhere how much ram ZFS is consuming? Me just blindly looking at the reporting charts show that I have 7GB free and barely 200MB used I'm happy to put more memory in, but I'd like it to actually be used.

Trauma

Cadet
Ok i've finely figured out what was the problem here. Everything was related to LDAP Signing policie on the DC's.

After disabling AD services and trying to rejoin the NAS to the domain I've understood kerberos authentication method was broken. So I've disabled the policies on the DC, join the NAS to AD again, all goes back to normal. :)

I didn't dig to find out how to use ldap signing against Freenas yet.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wow. almost 18 months in the making...

Not to single you out Trauma, but many many threads I see on this forum have problems that are similar to yours. Someone has a problem that just can't be sorted out in the forums no matter how much you try. Most people probably don't realize how all this technology works and just simply dismiss FreeNAS as a garbage product. I will admit though, you've probably set a new record in this forum for the length of time between when you made your post and got a resolution. Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.