FreeNAS 8.0.3 USB to Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldfinger

Cadet
Recently installed FreeNAS 8.0.3 to a USB stick and I am now running off the USB stick on a HP EX485 server. I got everything setup just the way I like it and have my data on the disks and my Mac backing up to it also. My question is, Can I move the FreeNAS USB install to one of the disks? So that all the settings I have will transfer over without having to re-install everything.

The reason for moving off of the USB stick is that this server is on a public facing network. I had to install DenyHosts to prevent hackers from trying to brute-force attack my machine. (I know this easiest way to prevent this is to just turn off SSH services. Not the topic of this question) DenyHosts is a python script that reads the /var/log/auth.log file and disallows people from logging into my server that have multiple invalid logins. The script needs access to the file system to update the /etc/hosts.evil file with the IP numbers of the invalid users. Since the default install has a read-only file system, I had to write a script that mounts the file system as write, run the python script, then mount the file system back to ready only. I know the reason for the read only file system for USB devices is because it has a limited number of write cycles, but there has to be a better way of doing this. Any ideas? Would installing on a hard drive and making it write instead of read-only be the only way around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.