FreeNAS-11.1-U2 - Still VNC problems with VMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisBee

Wizard
Upgraded from FreeNAS-11.1-U1 to FreeNAS-11.1-U2.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the VNC problems with VMs was supposed to be fixed in this version.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard

KrisBee

Wizard

Dru,

I'm getting a error on that link. It's not a EFI problem, it's the VNC connections which are flakey or simply fail either during or post-install of both debian and Ubuntu VMs. This is using either webvnc or a "krdc" Linux VNC client.

Not only that, but in the case of Ubuntu LTS 16.04.3 iso, post install if you revert to using serial console via "cu =l /dev/nmdmXB", after a long wait you can get to the EFI shell but after navigating to the "grub64.ef"i boot file the Ubuntu grub screen appears but then boot fails with this error message:

Code:
error: no suitable video mode found. 
Booting in blind mode

So currently in FreeNAS 11-1-U2 , running a Ubuntu LTS VM doesn't seem possible.

KrisBee

Wizard
Switched to another linux vnc client ( ssvnc) and after some persistence finally managed to get an installed Ubuntu LTS VM to boot using a VNC connection. Fixing the EFI on the Ubuntu install so Bhyve UEFI firmware can find the default boot64.efi file makes all the difference. VNC connections are now working as you'd expect for VMs running in text mode.

Why is it hard work to get simple VMs up and running? Combo of Bhyve and FreeNAS seems to have gone backwards in the last couple of releases.

This is a cross post, just seen the link but isn't that just about booting FreeNAS itself and not VM related?

Status
Not open for further replies.