SOLVED Formatted with type 2 protection and other funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

siconic

Explorer
So after being told that my LSI Logic SAS3801E L3-01123-04E SAS PCI-E was a SAS1 card, and that larger than 2TB disks would not work, I set out to find out if this was true. Since I am on a tight budget, the biggest disk I could find on the cheap was a 3TB IBM branded Seagate SAS disk. And by cheap, it cost all of $25 shipped! So, I put it in, created a dataset, and used it, with no problems! It detected the correct size, available space, copied files, read and wrote to it, etc. I did not fill it entirely though, so maybe I am still wrong. I will be trying that when I fix the issue below, to verify the disk size is also usable.

I noticed something when I ran smartctl -i /dev/da17 on the new disk I recently added. I noticed a line that said Formatted with type 2 protection.

Well, me being me, I researched this and found that I did not need type 2 protection, and that it can sometimes cause problems. So, not being able to leave well enough alone (if it ain't broke don't fix it surely applies here), I ran the following code sg_format --format --size=512 --fmtpinfo=0 /dev/da17 -v BEFORE I detached the volume, and NOW I broke it.

I get the following message:
index.php

Wondering if thats the incompatibility of a disk over 2TB occurring, or I just "booboo'd" the disk. I am researching how to fix it, but if anyone has something they would like to add, or knows the fix off the top of their head, I am all ears. Just to note, beforehand everything was working fine, including SMART. I assume I jacked something up, but I have no idea what, and most importantly, there should be a fix since any format initiated by sg tools should not "kill" the disk.

index.php

P.S. Several reboots later has not solved the issue.

siconic

Explorer
SOLVED: Unplugged the disk to re-initialize it. I then re-ran the format. Then I ran the smart short and long. Disk is now good!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you even using FreeNAS or do you just want to test that controller? It does not look like you are using FreeNAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

siconic

Explorer
Are you even using freenas or do you just want to test that controller? It does not look like you are using freenas.

See Signature??? I am using FreeNAS 11.0-U4, but I guess my images disappeared when I removed the post from another post. But I do wonder, how does it look like I am not using Freenas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
All the command you executed and talking about protection 2. None of that is something you do with FreeNAS. If you're not using the GUI you are doing it wrong.

siconic

Explorer
All the command you executed and talking about protection 2. None of that is something you do with freenas. If you're not using the GUI you are doing it wrong.

Ummmmmm, what?

Listen, without trying to sound like a butt-head, this is the second time you have commented on a post I have made, and said if I am not using the GUI I am doing it wrong. That is absolutely FALSE! Some stuff you CAN`T do from the GUI. Tell me where in the GUI I can get all the disks smart info? As far as I know, the only way to get the disk SMART info is go to the command line and use smartctl -i /dev/da##.

Also, if the developers of FreeNAS meant for you to NEVER use the command line, they would have disabled SSH, and not given us a very convenient little icon called Shell.
upload_2017-10-18_11-45-16.png

So, please don`t mislead people by telling them using the command line is wrong.

Also, using command line, one could virtually re-write FreeNAS. It is and always will be the most powerfull tool available on any Linux Device.

gpsguy

See Signature???

In the future, if you request help, please include your hardware info and FreeNAS version in the body of the message. Those of us on mobile devices can't see your signature. TIA

siconic

Explorer
In the future, if you request help, please include your hardware info and FreeNAS version in the body of the message. Those of us on mobile devices can't see your signature. TIA

Good info, I did not know.

I know version may be important, but in this case I did assume that because I was posting in the FreeNAS forum, that it would be assumed I at least am running some version of FreeNAS. I will be more careful from now on.

Also, I feel the need to mention that the "See Signature???" was not meant to be accusatory.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ummmmmm, what?

Listen, without trying to sound like a butt-head, this is the second time you have commented on a post I have made, and said if I am not using the GUI I am doing it wrong. That is absolutely FALSE! Some stuff you CAN`T do from the GUI. Tell me where in the GUI I can get all the disks smart info? As far as I know, the only way to get the disk SMART info is go to the command line and use smartctl -i /dev/da##.

Also, if the developers of FreeNAS meant for you to NEVER use the command line, they would have disabled SSH, and not given us a very convenient little icon called Shell.
View attachment 21152

So, please don`t mislead people by telling them using the command line is wrong.

Also, using command line, one could virtually re-write FreeNAS. It is and always will be the most powerful tool available on any Linux Device.
I do not pay attention to usernames and had no clue I have told you this before. But I said it for a reason, you should not make modifications to the system via the CLI on FreeNAS. Those changes will not persist through an upgrade or even a reboot. FreeNAS also expects the disks to be formatted/partitioned in a certain way so when you mess with that and do it yourself you are going to get unexpected results with FreeNAS.

If you are so inclined to use the CLI then use just plain FreeBSD. The reason people use FreeNAS is for the GUI.

As for smart info well you should never need to really look at it. You should configure email notifications to tell you when smart test have failed and then you replace the disks.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Also, using command line, one could virtually re-write FreeNAS. It is and always will be the most powerfull tool available on any Linux Device.
Well, sure. But FreeNAS is not a Linux device at all.

And when you use the command line, it is important not to step on what might have already been done, or is done differently, by the programmed code.

Status
Not open for further replies.