Fix Unreadable USB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie_72

Cadet
This is a bit of a tale, but hopefully it might help some people in the same boat i was in yesterday.

So - just bulit my first freenas server, managed to install Plex and get it working (thanks to the youtube video).

Added the media I had on my desktop - all working great.

I had most of my files on a USB HDD (Samsung M3 Portable 1TB) that was plugged into the back of my Smart TV, it was time to get them on the NAS..

Plugged the drive in to my PC (Linux Mint 15) - could not mount drive;
Plugged the drive in to my Laptop (Win 7), pop up box - "need to format this drive";
Plugged the drive in to both my smart TV's -both ok.

After a bit of googling I found that this is a common issue, the TV must do 'something' to the filesystem that stops the PC's from reading it. I tried my PS3 - nothing.

I was ready to format it and start again - 400GB of movies to put back on, and I didn't have another copy of them !!

I then connected the disk to the NAS (via USB obviously), and it it seen it. Very good I thought.
I created a volume and a CIFS share and mapped a drive to it.......

It was empty, but I noticed the the size was only about 600GB, not 1TB...I then remembered about chkdsk, so....

Connected it to the laptop and ran chkdsk - it found loads of issues, this drive is only about 1 month old.
It advised me to run with switch /F to repair, so I done exactly that, and it ran for about 5 seconds......and advised all was well. The icon on the network sharing of the laptop updated and I could access all the files again !

So - a bit of good old DOS to the rescue.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.