First FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnite

Dabbler
I am looking to build my first FreeNAS. I was originally going to use an old mb combo I already have but after doing a lot of reading I have decided to sell what I have and use the money to get something better suited. The hardware I have is a sabertooth z77 with I7 3770k and 16 GB ddr3 1600.
I have found INTEL SERVER MOTHERBOARD MODEL # S5520HC SOCKET LGA 1366 WITH DUAL INTEL MATCHED PROCESSORS MODEL X5675 3.07GHZ QUAD PROCESSORS AND 32GIGS OF REGISTERED RAM BY MICRON that I can pick up for $225 I have a rosewill R4000 case and 10 2 TB sas drives and a lsi 9211 8i in it mode. Would this be a good way to go? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

kdragon75

Wizard
It all depends on your goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

midnite

Dabbler

kdragon75

Wizard
Yep. That's more than enough to get started. sounds like its time to research vdevs!

midnite

Dabbler
Yep. That's more than enough to get started. sounds like its time to research vdevs!
Thanks I have spent the last couple weeks watching all the videos I can find and reading thru the forums and trying to learn what I can about it all.

kdragon75

Wizard
Once you get started actually configuring things, the User Guide is a great resource as well.

Inxsible

Guru
FWIW, the z77 hardware that you currently have will work as well. IF that board has Realtek controllers for LAN, you might have to spring for an i340-T2 or i350-T2.

You might want to give FreeNAS a whirl on that hardware before going out and spending money. Who knows, maybe you won't like FreeNAS or FreeNAS might not be for you. If so, it would save you some money.

Also, your stated use case does not require you to have dual processors -- which tend to consume quite a bit of power, especially if you buy used gear that is a few generation older.

midnite

Dabbler
FWIW, the z77 hardware that you currently have will work as well. IF that board has Realtek controllers for LAN, you might have to spring for an i340-T2 or i350-T2.

You might want to give FreeNAS a whirl on that hardware before going out and spending money. Who knows, maybe you won't like FreeNAS or FreeNAS might not be for you. If so, it would save you some money.

Also, your stated use case does not require you to have dual processors -- which tend to consume quite a bit of power, especially if you buy used gear that is a few generation older.

Thanks. The board I have has Intel® 82579V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s) and Intel® Socket 1155 for 3rd/2nd Generation Processors but doesn't support ecc memory. If I got the dual processor board couldn't I just run a single processor at first to save power and add the second one if and when I need it. I'm also interested in learning about vm's although I haven't used one yet. I would like to learn to set one up to run a secure node for Zencash.

Inxsible

Guru
The board I have has Intel® 82579V, 1 x Gigabit LAN
Intel Loans are great since they are well supported. FreeNAS will run without ECC RAM. ECC is not a requirement, only a recommendation.
If I got the dual processor board couldn't I just run a single processor at first to save power and add the second one if and when I need it.
Your power savings will not equal the TDP of the missing processor. It's much complicated than that. You might find that it's not worth the hassle.
I'm also interested in learning about vm's although I haven't used one yet. I would like to learn to set one up to run a secure node for Zencash.
Your future requirements can be handled in the future. Again, just to be clear, I am only advising to use your existing system because you already have it. If you were buying a new system, I would advise you to buy proper server grade hardware with some future proofing built in.

midnite

Dabbler
Intel Loans are great since they are well supported. FreeNAS will run without ECC RAM. ECC is not a requirement, only a recommendation.

Your power savings will not equal the TDP of the missing processor. It's much complicated than that. You might find that it's not worth the hassle.

Your future requirements can be handled in the future. Again, just to be clear, I am only advising to use your existing system because you already have it. If you were buying a new system, I would advise you to buy proper server grade hardware with some future proofing built in.

Ok thank you very much I appreciate the guidance.

Inxsible

Guru

midnite

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.