Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinderw

Explorer
Hello,

I recently upgraded to Freenas 9.3 and recently started getting this error message: Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0. My NAS leverages an IBM M1050 card which i use to connect several hard drives to. When i installed the M1050 i flashing the card to IT mode and used http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ which was a great help.

I've read https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...d-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-driver-mismatch.23650/ but i'm not super sure what I need to do to upgrade from v15 to v16 to remove the warning. Cyberjock has mentioned its not good to ignore the warning and I would like to do the necessary upgrades to remove the issue.

I apologize if i left off any needed details, please let me know if any others are needed.

Thanks in advance.

Clinderw

Explorer
I should also note i found this below but am not sure in what and where i need to grab the inputs from. i preemptively downloaded the FreeBSD P16 installer - http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public...SAS_SATA_6G_P16/Installer_P16_for_FreeBSD.zip but am not sure that is correct

An alert will also be generated when the LSI HBA firmware version does not match the driver version. To resolve this alert, download the IT (integrated target) firmware, not the IR (integrated RAID) firmware, from the LSI website. Then, specify the name of the firmware image and bios as well as the controller to flash:

sas2flash -f firmwareimagename -b biosname -c controllernumber

When finished, reboot the system. The new firmware version should appear in the system messages and the alert will be cleared.

Thanks

zambanini

Patron
if you have no clue...pay for it.

there is enough existing information in this forum regarding exact this steps.

even you did not read the sticky posts...

Last edited:

Clinderw

Explorer
I resolved this - same steps as before with two new files. Guess it was easier than i thought. I always feel weird playing with firmware or bios

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Clinderw,

I feel the same. I do not mess with firmware bios on a daily basis. Currently trying out 9.3 and I get this: Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0. I have the LSI M1015 HBA.

Where did you find the latest version? I will guess that the latest version of FreeNAS has version 20 drivers?

gpsguy

No, FreeNAS 9.3 uses the phase 16 firmware. You can download it from LSI. Search the forum for a link to the page. If you don't see v16, look under older/previous versions.

Sent from my phone

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing @ECCfrenaslover is running one of the nightlies--I recall someone else posting that they were using the P20 driver. 9.3-STABLE is, of course, still on P16.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I am using one of the latest nightlies. Will try the 9.3 stable after I find the phase 16 from LSI. I just hate messing with these cards since I find it to be a major pain. I already lost one card when it bricked itself during the flash when I was building my two FreeNAS units.

Is there a HBA that does not require this firmware flashing to be done whenever a new version of FreeNAS is released as stable? I would not mind paying a bit more for that "easier" option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, iXsystems is doing some testing of P20. It's known to not be thoroughly tested, so there was plans to have some public testing of it and incorporating it into FreeNAS at some point in the future. Can't stay on P16 forever. ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
LSI HBAs do not "require this firmware flashing to be done whenever a new version of FreeNAS is released as stable". FreeNAS has been on the P16 driver for quite some time, through several releases, and it's still there for the current stable release. It may be moving to P20 in the future, apparently. You play with nightlies, you have to accept some oddities.

BigT

Cadet
So I have the opposite issue with an LSI 9207-8i.. "WARNING: Firmware version 17 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0." Do you think I need to flash the firmware on this thing? I've not done one of these from FreeBSD before, but from what I read it seems rather simple using sas2flash. Do you have any tidbits of wisdom for me if I do flash this thing?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
So I have the opposite issue with an LSI 9207-8i.. "WARNING: Firmware version 17 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0." Do you think I need to flash the firmware on this thing? I've not done one of these from FreeBSD before, but from what I read it seems rather simple using sas2flash. Do you have any tidbits of wisdom for me if I do flash this thing?
The warning should be heeded, yes, flash the firmware to match the driver in FreeNAS.
As far as tidbits, this subject has been discussed in hundreds of posts here. Please use the
forums search feature for the term LSI, there are over 10 pages of posts.

You could start here

BigT

Cadet
So I still have a bit of a question... Some threads talk about booting from UEFI, deleting the firmware, then pushing the firmware. Other threads seem to imply you can use the sas2flash built into FreeNAS to do the erase and then the push, stressing that you should not reboot after deleting the firmware. My FreeNAS is not serving anything yet as I just built it (to replace an aging Nexenta build), so I am not worried about the warnings of doing the flash on an active zpool. However, I do want to make sure I don't brick my 9207-8i.

So is the UEFI option only necessary on certain builds? Or only for cross-flash? Mine's just a straight LSI HBA card (ie. no raid to turn off), so I don't have those concerns.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's threads on the forum that have answered your question dozens of times over. Please use the search feature.

BigT

Cadet
I did search.. and as I clearly stated the posts are contradicting. In fact the mass majority have to do with cross-flashing IBM cards. If the intent is to make every new user sift through days of content to only have to guess at which solutions might be valid in their scenario, then perhaps you're right.. I can search the forum. What senior forum members do not realize is that just because they have fielded a million questions on something doesn't mean those answers are easy for a new person to find, and it's almost impossible for them to make an educated determination between multiple solutions that all vaguely resemble their issue..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I did search.. and as I clearly stated the posts are contradicting.
Where are these contradicting posts? I've never seen that, regarding the mps driver and LSI SAS2 firmware. I would like to have those cleared up as I am absolutely sick of this question popping up.

As an aside, I have suggested alternative messages for the warning, to hopefully help clear things up - see https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/10650

Status
Not open for further replies.