Fileserver setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudde

Explorer
We are going to build a new fileserver, the old one just doesn't cut it anymore.
I dont have the exact specification for the new machine but it will be something like this:
Supermicro board
LSI SAS/RAID controller flashed to IT mode of course.
128GB ECC memory
2x10Gbit/s Intel NIC
16x 6 TB Western Digital RED drives
1 SSD for SLOG
and if needed 1 SSD for L2ARC

2 Intel SSD in Raid1 for installing FreeNAS on top.

Since the systems i built before have been smaller and not as critical as this one. (This will be the backbone for all the data and backups in our datacenter.
We will have one more machine to replicate the data against but there will be no failover or similar.

I need help in understanding the best setup for our needs.
Today we have webserver (apache), they will be able to access the file server on a separe share lets call i "whome".
I know NFS is a good choice when it comes to tranfering alot of small files so sharing whome over NFS seems good but we still need to be able to mount the shares to all our workstations for the technicians to have easy access to SMB is a must here.
And i guess you cant set the same share with NFS read only and CIFS at the same time?

Further today our customers have all their data located on the same share,
Lets call the Share "Home" and the structure looks like this:
Home
--------->logs
--------->public_html
--------->mail
--------->db
--------->tmp

The logs is pretty straigh forward, thats where all logs concerning our user ends up
public_html is where the website is located
mail is where all the mails get stored

Today alot of customers store their mails with POP, this will change as soon as the new mail system is up and running (postfix and Devcot)

Im in the making of rebuilding the more or less the hole infrastructure of the datacenter, i will change our webservers to cloudlinux machines with cpanel.
Is it possible to let two web-servers read and write from the same FreeNAS share and then use a loadbalancer to direct traffic equally between my web-servers?

Our main use for our fileserver is storing backups from our customers doe.
And mapping up different shares for our technicians.

But our datacenter is a mix of linux (mostly debian servers) and windows machines. My biggest concern is how to get all the permissions to play along.
Like i said Im new in the company and my job is to modernize the infrastructure but right now for example we have an old windows 2000 machine running Gene6 FTP server (not updated since 2006 or something)
The mail system also runs on Windows 2000 with MDaemon mail server (updated 2004 or something)

I will not have time to update all our services, (webservers, ftpserver, mailservers, dns server, PXE servers, etc etc) before our fileserver have to be up and running.
Also worth a mentioning is that I'm in no way is a sysadmin or anything similar. This is not my regular job I'm just helping out and learning by doing. So bare with me if some things seems obvious to you guys who work with this daily.
My colleges have lots experience in different fields but linux, vmware, freenas and computer clusters theyr lost at, and like I said I'm just a guy with lots of free time and lots of interest in learning these kind of things.
But all ideas, tips and trix are more then welcome. What kind of hardware i should choose, configuration tips etc etc.

This fileserver will also host a bunch of ESXi VM's over iSCSI.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
We are going to build a new fileserver, the old one just doesn't cut it anymore.
I dont have the exact specification for the new machine but it will be something like this:
Supermicro board
LSI SAS/RAID controller flashed to IT mode of course.
128GB ECC memory
2x10Gbit/s Intel NIC
16x 6 TB Western Digital RED drives
1 SSD for SLOG
and if needed 1 SSD for L2ARC

2 Intel SSD in Raid1 for installing FreeNAS on top.

Since the systems i built before have been smaller and not as critical as this one. (This will be the backbone for all the data and backups in our datacenter.
We will have one more machine to replicate the data against but there will be no failover or similar.

I need help in understanding the best setup for our needs.
Today we have webserver (apache), they will be able to access the file server on a separe share lets call i "whome".
I know NFS is a good choice when it comes to tranfering alot of small files so sharing whome over NFS seems good but we still need to be able to mount the shares to all our workstations for the technicians to have easy access to SMB is a must here.
And i guess you cant set the same share with NFS read only and CIFS at the same time?

Further today our customers have all their data located on the same share,
Lets call the Share "Home" and the structure looks like this:
Home
--------->logs
--------->public_html
--------->mail
--------->db
--------->tmp

The logs is pretty straigh forward, thats where all logs concerning our user ends up
public_html is where the website is located
mail is where all the mails get stored

Today alot of customers store their mails with POP, this will change as soon as the new mail system is up and running (postfix and Devcot)

Im in the making of rebuilding the more or less the hole infrastructure of the datacenter, i will change our webservers to cloudlinux machines with cpanel.
Is it possible to let two web-servers read and write from the same FreeNAS share and then use a loadbalancer to direct traffic equally between my web-servers?

Our main use for our fileserver is storing backups from our customers doe.
And mapping up different shares for our technicians.

But our datacenter is a mix of linux (mostly debian servers) and windows machines. My biggest concern is how to get all the permissions to play along.
Like i said Im new in the company and my job is to modernize the infrastructure but right now for example we have an old windows 2000 machine running Gene6 FTP server (not updated since 2006 or something)
The mail system also runs on Windows 2000 with MDaemon mail server (updated 2004 or something)

I will not have time to update all our services, (webservers, ftpserver, mailservers, dns server, PXE servers, etc etc) before our fileserver have to be up and running.
Also worth a mentioning is that I'm in no way is a sysadmin or anything similar. This is not my regular job I'm just helping out and learning by doing. So bare with me if some things seems obvious to you guys who work with this daily.
My colleges have lots experience in different fields but linux, vmware, freenas and computer clusters theyr lost at, and like I said I'm just a guy with lots of free time and lots of interest in learning these kind of things.
But all ideas, tips and trix are more then welcome. What kind of hardware i should choose, configuration tips etc etc.

This fileserver will also host a bunch of ESXi VM's over iSCSI.
Sounds like a use case where a support contract is worth its weight in gold. Contact iX systems for a truenas quote.

Dudde

Explorer
Sorry but support contract is out of discussion, it's a small company and they cant afford the ix systems solutions.
Im not a sysadmin by profession but i do know my way around the systems and have built quite a few machines for medium sized businesses who are very happy with the end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.