FileServer Migration from Windows Server to Truenas Core

djb

Explorer
Hello everyone, i'm in the middle of migrating Windows Fileserver to Truenas, but i'm facing some issues with permissions.

With windows server anyone can apply permissions on a: SMB Share\subfolder1 \ subfolder2 \ subfolder3 , even if the subfolder is created by the users. (So the subfolders inherit permissions from parent, and the final subfolder I break inheritance and edit the permissions)

Truenas needs to have it as dataset in order to set ACL permissions. So if I provide an SMB share the users /mnt/z1pool/Data , and the users create subfolder1\subfolder2\subfolder3 , we can’t control permissions on the third subfolder like windows server.

Is it any workaround to make this happent ? Any suggestions ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Truenas needs to have it as dataset in order to set ACL permissions.
setfacl ...

Or use Windows security controls from a windows machine to set them.

Reactions: djb

djb

Explorer
setfacl ...

Or use Windows security controls from a windows machine to set them.
Can i setfacl on the subfolder3, if there is the following: /mnt/z1pool/Data
Dataset = Data. SMB Share is on /mnt/z1pool/Data

Then the users create Data\subfolder1\subfolder2\subfolder3.
We need to set ACL permissions on subfolder 3, what would be the setfacl method ?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe you're looking for something like this?

setfacl can work on any directory/subdirectory you tell it to.

be careful once set not to mess with anything on the dataset level and use the "apply permissions recursively" option.

djb

Explorer
Maybe you're looking for something like this?

setfacl can work on any directory/subdirectory you tell it to.

be careful once set not to mess with anything on the dataset level and use the "apply permissions recursively" option.
Thanks for your comments.
it seems that using commands will not show in GUI, so this makes it harder to manage.

sretalla