File transfers to freenas drop midway (10gbe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaf

Dabbler
I can upload around 6Gb of data at full speed before it bottles down to 1gb speeds.

Attachments

• out15.jpg
    out15.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 270
I can upload around 6Gb of data at full speed before it bottles down to 1gb speeds.

That would suggest to me that after filling the RAM cache, which I believe defaults to around 12% of total RAM, you're limited by the pool write speed, and if these are your pools it looks about right:

4x6TB WD Red (2 disk redundancy)
2x6TB WD Red (mirror)

shaf

Dabbler
That would suggest to me that after filling the RAM cache, which I believe defaults to around 12% of total RAM, you're limited by the pool write speed, and if these are your pools it looks about right:

So what do I need to do to get better performance?

A faster pool, here's an example I posted before writing to both my HDD and SSD pools, details on signature:

HDD Pool:
1545475755318.png

SSD Pool:
1545475769093.png

shaf

Dabbler
A faster pool, here's an example I posted before writing to both my HDD and SSD pools, details on signature:

Ok cool.

So as a quick test if were to put 2xSSDs in raid0 into my setup, I should see significant increase in performance even after it has used up all the RAM cache?

So as a quick test if were to put 2xSSDs in raid0 into my setup, I should see significant increase in performance even after it has used up all the RAM cache?

Yes, if they are fast SSDs, cheap TLC SSDs can sustain writes of about 100MB/s each, so not that much faster than your current pool.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

shaf

Dabbler
@Spearfoot, yes I am using jumbo frames in my new configurations.
I enabled this in the switches and the network cards. Also, enabled this in freenas by adding mtu 9000 in the interface options.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
@Spearfoot, yes I am using jumbo frames in my new configurations.
I enabled this in the switches and the network cards. Also, enabled this in freenas by adding mtu 9000 in the interface options.
Very good. Then it may be that, as suggested by others above, your bottleneck is the speed of your pool(s) and not your network.

shaf

Dabbler
So bought 3x500GB Samsung 860 EVO drives and put them into a stripe pool for testing. Happy to say that the 'issue' has been resolved. I'm getting aroung 400-500MB/s speeds.

As soon as it goes past the cache it doesn't flow as smoothly and is a little choppy but it doesn't drop thankfully.
Now I'm trying to get to configure for higher speeds if possible.

Thanks for your help everyone, especially to @Johnnie Black for pointing me into the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.