File transfers from off to on-network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0de

Dabbler
Hi guys, I've been banging my head about this one for 2 weeks. I hate to break down and beg for help, but I need a little hand-holding cause I just can't figure it out on my own.

I need to transfer files from an off network server to one of my shares. I started messing around with SSH, but I couldn't get outside my network using Shell.

Let me know if I left out anything important, thanks for any and all help!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you cannot SSH out of your own LAN, it sounds like you do not have a Default Gateway configured for your FreeNAS box.

di0de

Dabbler
If you cannot SSH out of your own LAN, it sounds like you do not have a Default Gateway configured for your FreeNAS box.

yes that was it! Thanks. I got ssh and rsync to work finally. One other question, if I am syncing a large number of files can I close down the computer or exit the web interface without interrupting the transfer? My understanding is that the sync will continue "behind the scenes" so to speak.

If this is indeed the case how can I tell when the transfers are finished? Is there a way I can bring up the process in shell again and check the status?

N00b

Explorer
Look up tmux program. tmux allows you to monitor the job in between like you want to. Run the job inside the window. Detach from and reconnect to the window when you want.

di0de

Dabbler
thank you N00b, I looked into tmux, but may not have any time to install/configure it this week. Can you answer me this? If I close the web interface (shell) without interrupting the transfers? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I just need to know if the transfers will run in the background. Thanks again

cyberjock

Inactive Account
thank you N00b, I looked into tmux, but may not have any time to install/configure it this week. Can you answer me this? If I close the web interface (shell) without interrupting the transfers? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I just need to know if the transfers will run in the background. Thanks again

Why not just test it for yourself? Then you'll know for certainty and you'll be sure that your version doesn't behave different from his version?

di0de

Dabbler
thank you Dusan, looks easier than I expected. Giving it a go.

cyberjock, while I appreciate the importance of trying and learning things for yourself, I plan on transferring a large amount of files that will take several hours over night and I really don't want to wake up and find out that nothing transferred because my computer went to sleep or something.

Thanks all, I think this problem is...... SOLVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.