File ownership in FreeNAS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock

Cadet
Greetings!

I'm quite new to FreeNAS and the underlying FreeBSD as well, so this noob category is just good for me. Let's see, if i'm able to keep it clear and brief at the same time.

My task is to set up a small NAS box providing CIFS for around 7-8 Windows and my linux desktop at the office. The box is up and running its test course right now with users/groups/shares set up according to the target environment. Every workgroup (development, manufacturing, controlling...) can access their dedicated share. So far so good. I'm really graceful for this great piece of software.

So what am i so curious about this file ownership thing?

One of the volumes (which is a zfs dataset) has set office.nobody as owner and office.controlling as group in its permissions pane. The user above is a dummy and the account is locked. According to my setup, the three users in that group can access the share bound to that volume.

The strange thing for me is that files created by joe of group office.controlling shows up being owned by user office.nobody. I confess, i hoped that the creator would become the owner of any file - would have helped to keep up a good oversight on things.

Here come my questions about it:
  • Is this the natural behaviour of FreeNAS? (or FreeBSD)
  • Can i make it the other way? (Creator gains ownership)
  • If yes, could anyone please give me a clue on this? (Some documentation maybe - the more in-depth, the better; i'm aware i have to study FreeBSD as well - but it's not the right moment)

Have a nice day, folks!

coe

Cadet
Its a missing tick box that is being fixed for RC3 or final, but while waiting for this to happen:

option is to edit /conf/base/etc/rc.d/ix-samba, and remove the line 'inherit owner = yes'
then copy to /etc/rc.d/ix-samba

this makes change persistent through reboots. If you don't wan't to edit the base conf files, you can do it via

/usr/local/etc/smb.conf

and by restarting CIFS, but if you reboot the NAS the option will be lost.

Thanks to Divine for figuring this out at freenas irc channel. Much <3.

sherlock

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, coe!

I've just given it a try and it works perfectly. Thanks for pointing at /conf/base/etc/*, now i keep an eye on that. In fact, two eyes for now.

Cheerz!

eigonzalez

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, coe!

I've just given it a try and it works perfectly. Thanks for pointing at /conf/base/etc/*, now i keep an eye on that. In fact, two eyes for now.

Cheerz!

Have you solve the ownership issue for new files from diferentes user than the share forlder owner?. I'm using FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1 for something similar than you sherlock.

Thanks,
EG

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't expect him to respond. His last activity was 13 months ago(as is the age of this thread).

eigonzalez

Cadet
Thanks for the answer noobsausce80,
I have some expirience with zfs on solaris and i got all the pool configuration and datasets done. The issue is that even when i left unchecked "inherit owner" in any cifs share, when the user create a file, it gets the folder user and group owner, instead of the windows user that its creating it.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.