"File is too large for destination file system" copying files after upgrade from 11.3U5 to 12.0

Cartesio

Dabbler
After upgrading to TrueNAS 12 from FreeNAS 11.3U5, copying some files to a SMB share returns the error "File is too large for destination file system", i.e. with a 18MB files. From robocopy the error is The parameter is incorrect, error 87. As if the file size was calculated incorrectly. Copying from Windows 10 Pro 1909.

Rolling back to 11.3U5 fixes the issues.

Cartesio

Dabbler
Anodos found the issue, it was caused by the SMB share having the auxiliary parameters vfs objects = acl_xattr aio_fork readahead streams_xattr zfs_space zfsacl. This share went through several version of FreeNAS, were set long ago, and the forgotten.

Because streams_xattr zfs_space zfsacl were also set on another share which didn't show any issue, probably acl_xattr, aio_fork, readahead - or some combination of them caused the issue.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
acl_xattr does not function properly on FreeBSD and should not be used. I've seen reports of issues with aio_fork. readahead is unknown. We do absolutely zero testing of it.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Big picture, this is why we moved away from directly exposing VFS objects (helps us have something that's a little more user-friendly and OS / implementation agnostic) and instead expose features as checkboxes (ACL, streams, durable handles, etc). During the 11.3->12.0 migration if we can't directly map legacy VFS objects to our new checkboxes, we dump them into an auxiliary parameter (to hopefully reduce surprises on upgrade).

Cartesio

Dabbler
Removed all the "dumped" auxiliary parameters, and I had no issues since then.